BUU44550 Advances in Marketing Theory and Practice
(10 ECTS credits)
Module Outline based on 2018/19 15 ECTS Module and currently being updated
Professor Radu Dimitriu
This is an interesting and dynamic issues-based course that explores contemporary developments in marketing theory and practice. This module requires a lot of reading of assigned journal articles, watching films and listening to podcasts. It is suited to students who have at least 20 ECTS of completed marketing study and who enjoy applying theory to practice.
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Appreciate how traditional marketing management theory and practice is made more complex in markets such as healthcare, fashion, destinations and food;
- Extend basic psychological and sociological constructs of demographics and psychographics to construct the modern consumer;
- Critically account for the rise of the aesthetic economy, particularly coolness, advertising and brand community, and imagine the future directions of such phenomena;
- Identify and critically apply high level theory of ethics, postmodernism, gift-giving and sacredness to practical marketing situations;
- Develop the concept of the digital consumption;
- Identify and develop one’s own macromarketing position on marketing’s impact on society, including phenomena like body image, affluence, and disposal.
Recommended Texts/Key Reading:
Journal articles, podcasts, films will be listed in the module outline.
Lectures & Tutorials/Contact hours:
1 x 2hr. plenary lecture per week and 9 tutorials per semester
Assessment and Examination:
Dates for submission:
To be advised
Penalties for late submission:
5% for each working day late, or part thereof.
Submission deadlines are not negotiable. Assignments not submitted on time will be graded zero. Students unable to submit a term assignment for medical reasons must produce a medical certificate to the School of Business Studies office within three working days of the missed submission date. Certificates received after that time will not be accepted.