MODULE CODE: BUU33615
MODULE NAME: Management Experience and Reflection
Credits: 5 ECTS
Semester taught: 1st Semester (Michaelmas Term)
This module provides students an opportunity to engage with, reflect on, and learn from their experiences in an organisational context. During the first term of the third year, students must secure one of the following practical experiences to undertake experiential learning:
1) A summer internship in an approved organization;
2) A volunteership in an approved non-profit organisation;
3) A summer research placement at Trinity Business School under the supervision of Dr. Rivkin;
Through successfully completing one of the above-mentioned practical experiences students become familiar with the work-related context of their choosing and engage in meaningful and focused reflection on how their experiences can expand the application of their knowledge and skills and contribute to their professional and personal development.
Successfully completing this module will help students to:
• Develop professional knowledge and skills through practical experience and reflection;
• Formulate, and execute a personal and career development plan which focuses on long-term career goals;
• Understand how to their personal characteristics and professional skills contribute to being effective in a work environment;
• Reflect upon their practical experiences in order to broaden and deepen their understanding of how they 'fit' into an organisational context of their choosing and to identify development opportunities, which are useful for their career progression.
• Improve Student’s resilience to effectively cope with work demands
LECTURES AND TUTORIALS/CONTACT HOURS
At the beginning of the practical experience, students should meet with their organizational mentor/supervisor to set development goals. During their practical experience, students must meet with their organizational mentor/supervisor at least once a week to discuss work tasks and review progress towards the development goals. In addition, students will meet with the module leader before their practical experience and familiarize themselves with the reflective framework for the practical experience. The time allocated to the practical experience must be at least 200 hours (or approximately 7 weeks of full-time work). Note that for most students the practical experience will take place over the summer between their 3rd and 4th year in the TBS undergraduate business programme.
Part 1 - Practical experience reflection: (40%):
During their practical experience, students will be required to engage in critical reflection on the following topics (300-350 Words per topic):
1. Prior study: How have your studies enabled you to perform effectively in your work placement?
2. Self-awareness & development: Describe a time when you changed your behavior based on the feedback you had been given during your practical experience. Evaluate how effective the change was.
3. Communication: Describe and reflect on a situation during your practical experience where you communicated effectively and directly influenced a course of action.
4. Future Career/Employment/Study: How did your practical experience influence your future career decisions?
Part 2 - Practical experience project (40%):
Students will identify a challenge or issue during their practical experience and develop a solution through the application of relevant theoretical knowledge and practical skills. They should record a presentation for their practical experience project (7-10 minutes).
Part 3 – Practical experience Mentor/Supervisor Feedback (20%):
Towards the end of the practical experience, the student’s mentor/supervisor will be requested to submit a feedback form on how the student performed during the practical experience.
PENALTIES FOR LATE SUBMISSION
Students unable to complete the management experience and/or submit all parts of the assessment for medical reasons must produce a medical certificate to the Trinity Business School office within three working days of the missed submission date. Certificates received after that time will not be accepted.