BUU33740 Financial Management
Dr. Supriya Kapoor
Office Hours: By appointment (please email to schedule)
Tutor: Qirui Luo
BUU22550 - Introduction to Finance
This module introduces the core concepts and key topic areas of finance which are concerned with building solutions to tackle financial issues in any business. A financial manager in the business is responsible for suggesting the management on financing, investing and dividend-related decisions by analysing financial statements, and investment options. This module will allow students to develop knowledge and understanding the role of finance in running a business smoothly through capital budgeting, analysing financial ratios, working capital management, and securing long-term funding. The module covers a range of topics from fundamentals of finance, objectives of financial management within a firm, key financial and investment techniques, sources of finance to valuing a business.
Learning and Teaching Approach:
There will be weekly lectures (in-person) of 2 hours each. The lecture schedule is as follows:
- Tuesdays- 11:00-12:00 (Room B132)
- Thursdays- 11:00- 12:00 (Room B101/02)
There will be weekly tutorials . Schedule for tutorials TBC.
The lectures and material will serve as a guide for the students to deepen their understanding in finance. In addition to the lecture slides, the students will be provided with supplementary reading material including academic papers and case studies. This will allow them to create a bridge between concepts of finance and how they can be applied in real businesses. Further, in addition to the readings, there will be weekly problem sets that they will be solving with the tutor The tutorials will aim to enhance their knowledge and critical thinking skills on the topics covered.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental concepts of finance and financial management
- Evaluate the different financial ratios relevant for a business in different industries and comment on their financial health
- Understand the importance of working capital management in finance and evaluate techniques
- Examine the different investments available to a business based on capital budgeting techniques
- Understand the use of cost of capital, capital structure and valuation in a business
- Understand case-studies from real-world examples and develop useful insights
Recommended Texts/ Key Reading:
Financial Management ( FM) by Kaplan Publishing
Throughout the module, I will be introducing extra reading material including case studies and academic articles corresponding to topics covered in the module.
The assessment for this course is split between continuous assessment and final exam. The breakdown is as follows:
- Individual assignment 1- 10% of the final grade
- Individual assignment 2- 10% of the final grade
- Group assignment- 20% of the final grade
- Final exam- 60%
Supplemental assessment- 100% examination