Professor Paul CoughlanProfessor in Operations Management and Director of Accreditation & Quality Assurance
01 896 2327
Paul Coughlan is Professor in Operations Management and Director of Accreditation & Quality Assurance at Trinity Business School. Professor Coughlan has developed his research and teaching in operations management and new product development. In addition to this, he has held senior School and College administrative positions, including MBA Director, Director of Postgraduate Teaching and Learning, Director of Research and Course Co-Director at the TCD-UCD Innovation Academy.
Professor Coughlan's research in product development and continuous improvement has encompassed an innovative action research dimension involving companies engaged in action learning. This work has led to continuing methodology development and to specialised doctoral training in action research and learning through the EIASM doctoral network.
Professor Coughlan has research funding for two externally funded projects:
1. Distributing our Water Resources: Utilising Integrated, Smart and low-Carbon Energy (Dwr-Uisce)
2. Reducing Energy Dependence in Atlantic area Water Networks (REDAWN)
Wicked problems and how to solve them
Dwr-Uisce project: Autumn-Winter 2017 Newsletter
Innovation & Product Development Management Conference: 25 Years of Innovating Innovation
The butcher, the baker & the cheesemaker: TRADEIT Case Study Book
- Continuous improvement of manufacturing and product development practices and inter-organisational collaboration.
- Action learning, action research, service innovation and commercialisation of university research.
1. The role of OM EDEN in building the EurOMA community
Coughlan, P., Hargaden, V., Coghlan, D., Idris, A. and Ahlstrom, P. (2018). The role of OM EDEN in building the EurOMA community. International Journal of Operations and Production Management.
2. Yes We Can: Towards Assurance of Learning by Scholarly Academics through a Praxeology of the Scholarship of Teaching
Coghlan, D. and Coughlan, P. (2018). Yes We Can: Towards Assurance of Learning by Scholarly Academics through a Praxeology of the Scholarship of Teaching. Action Learning: Research and Practice.
3. Employee empowerment and job satisfaction in urban Malaysia: connecting the dots with context and organizational change management
Idris, A., See, D. and Coughlan, P. (2018). Employee empowerment and job satisfaction in urban Malaysia: connecting the dots with context and organizational change management. Journal of Organizational Change Management . 31(3), 697- 711.
1. Supporting sustainability through developing a learning network among traditional food producers: applications of action learning
Coughlan, P., Coghlan, D., O'Leary, D., Rigg, C. and Barrett, D. (2016). In Cagliano, R., Caniato, F.F.A. and Worley, C.G., Organizing Supply Chain Processes for Sustainable Innovation in the Agri-Food Industry, Bingley, Emerald Group, pp 59-81.
2. Action Research
Coughlan, P. and Coghlan, D. (2016). Research Methods for Operations Management, Abingdon OXON, Routeledge, pp 233-267