Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Programmes > Masters Programmes > FAQs



When should I apply?

The application system for 2019/20's intake is now open. You should apply as early as possible for the best chance of success.

What documents do I need to apply?

Your transcripts, your CV, letters of recommendation and proof of English are required to secure an unconditional offer. Avoid attaching school results and other miscellaneous, documents. Focus your efforts on meeting the entry criteria as outlined.

What if I don’t have all my documents?

You can apply with the evidence you do have. You may be successful in securing a conditional offer pending final transcripts or proof of English.

I haven’t completed my degree yet, can I apply?

Yes, many applicants are in their final year of studies therefore can only supply the most recent transcript, you should not delay in your application. It’s best to secure a conditional offer and then meet the conditions at a later date.

What is the closing date for programmes?

Closing dates for all applications will be in June, 2019. At this stage many courses are fully subscribed. Programmes are subject to early closure depending on places available.

Can I apply for multiple programmes?

Yes, although there is an application fee of €55.00 for each programme. You might want to make an informed selection rather than multiple applications.

Can I apply for a programme before I finish my degree?

Yes, candidates who are in their final year of their undergraduate degree should apply before getting their final results. Your previous results and transcripts will be used to review your suitability. If successful you will get a conditional offer (pending your final results).

Can I apply for a programme before I undertake an English proficiency test?

Yes, there is a section on the application form to enter a test date for your English proficiency test. If the selection committee review your application favourably they may issue a ‘conditional offer’ pending your result.

Can I upload documents after I have submitted my application?

Yes, extra documents and evidence can be uploaded to your application after submission.

Do I need to do GMAT?

This is not a standard requirement, although the selection committee reserve the right to request it in certain cases.

I am not sure if my degree is eligible for entry?

We receive applications from all over the world and from all disciplines. Once your university or institute is recognised and accredited locally, we can convert your qualification to check you make the grade.

Check our International Entry Requirements page to help you to convert your grade.

Example :
USA: GPA 3.20 or above
India: CGPA 6.5/10
China: 80% or above average
France: 16+

I’m not sure what course to apply for?

Some courses are very specific on the type of degree that is required, while others welcome applications from all undergraduate disciplines. Research job opportunities in the area and make an informed choice.

Is there an English language requirement for entry into Postgraduate Courses?

All applicants whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language:
IELTS: Grade 6.5;
TOEFL: 88 - IBT, 230 - Computer based, 570 - paper based;
Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English: Grade C;
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: Grade C;
Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 (with no section score below 59).

Please note that test scores are only valid for 2 years. For further details on these English Language Proficiency Tests, please contact the appropriate organisation directly.

The Application Process

How long do I have to complete my application?

You can create your username and login as often as needed to complete the form and attach your documents. The process should not take longer then 30 minutes providing you have all your documents available and have thought about a personal statement.

Do I need to complete all areas of the application form?

Yes, try answer all areas so the selection committee know as much as possible about you. If there is an area that does not apply to you, enter ‘n/a’ in the field.

How do I submit my references?

Applicants are required to provide two academic references, from those who have taught them in an academic capacity i.e. college professors. Applicants have two options for submitting their references:

1. They can submit their referee’s email addresses in the application form, in which case their referees will receive reference forms via email. The referees should then upload them as prompted.

2. They can ask their referees for signed references on headed paper, in which case applicants can then upload it to the ‘Additional Documents’ section in their student portal. In rare cases we may accept one academic and one professional reference but this decision would lie with the Academic Board on reviewing your application.

Is there a postal version of the application?

No, all applications are processed via the online portal.

Can I get an application fee waiver?

No, unfortunately all candidates need to pay the €55.00 application fee.

What is an official English translated transcript?

If your transcript is issued in another language, you need to go to a certified translation company to create an English version.

Can I change the programme I applied for?

No, but you can re-apply for another programme.


How do I apply for a scholarship?

We only review scholarship applications from candidates who have applied. Please complete the separate scholarship form and upload it to your student portal in the 'Additional Documents' section. Click here to download the form. Ensure that you enter your 8 digit application reference beginning with 18xxxxxx.

How much funding is available?

Successful students can expect to receive in the region of €2,000 to €4,000 towards their tuition fee.

How many scholarships are available?

For the class of 2018/19 funding was offered to over 40 students.

How do you decide who receives scholarship funding?

The main driver of funding is academic merit, with the scholarship application form also reviewed in tandem with your grades. Students from many countries have studied in Trinity due to the supporting funding offered. This diversity in selection will continue for 2019/20.

Accepting Your Place and Fee Payment

What do I do if I receive an offer?

If you receive a conditional or unconditional offer, it’s important you log-in to your MyTCD portal , accept your place and pay your deposit of €500. Please note that the deposit is non-refundable.

  • If you have a conditional offer, ensure you understand your requirements.  As you complete outstanding conditions (IELTS, final transcripts) continue to use the application portal to upload the documents.

Am I classed as an EU or Non EU student for Fees purposes?

Please contact the Academic Registry with queries on your status as an EU or non-EU student. Trinity will invoice EU fees if you are based in the EU for the last 3 years or more.

How long do I have to accept my offer?

You have 21 days to accept and pay a non-refundable deposit of €500.00.

Can I get my deposit back if I do not accept my offer?

No, if you change your mind the deposit is non-refundable. However, if you fail to meet outstanding entry requirements then a refund can be requested from academic registry.

Can I defer my place?

Deferrals are issued on a case by case basis and need to be requested. We can usually accommodate this request. Please note that fees will be charged in line with the academic year for which the student will attend, not the year in which they applied.

Where can I find information on accommodation?

University accommodation is available on and off campus. Postgraduate students can apply for accommodation on and off-campus. You can find more information at and Overseas students coming to Dublin for the first time can apply for temporary accommodation on the College campus while they search for long term accommodation. Trinity also offers some helpful maps (of Dublin, of City Centre, of campus) online: Further information is provided in the Student Welcome Guide.

What are the total fees required for my programme?

Please visit this page to see the full list of postgraduate fees for 2019/20.

If I want to accept a place on the programme but do not wish to pay a deposit yet, how can I secure my place?

No, it is not possible to secure your place without paying the deposit. If you have any queries about this, please contact the Academic Registry.

Where can I get a receipt for fees paid?

Students have the ability to print receipts for any fees paid from the “My Finance” section of their portal. The Academic Registry can provide copies of these receipts if you require a stamped & signed version. Please note that these receipts can only be requested by the student and are in the same format as those available on the portal.

When do I need to pay fees for the academic year 2019/2020?

EU students
Instalment 1 is due by 01 September 2019
Instalment 2 is due by 31 January 2020

Non- EU students
Non-EU students in their first year - Full payment is due by 01 September 2019
Continuing Non-EU Students – Instalment 1 is due by 01 September 2019 Instalment 2 is due by 31 January 2020

(Please note, the student visa process varies in each country, you may be required to pay your fees pre-arrival)

For further information on fee payments, instalments and deadlines - please contact the Academic Registry.

How much is the Sports Centre Levy?

The Sports Centre Levy is €120 for the academic year 2018/19. This is a mandatory charge. Applications to waive the Sports Centre Levy should be made to the Senior Tutor’s Office.

How do I pay my course fees/ course deposit?

Your invoice will be raised on the portal and is viewable in your in-tray and in your My Finance tab. There are three payment options:

Online (credit/debit cards) 
Payments can be made quickly and easily through the student portal.

Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) 
This involves the transfer of funds direct to the Trinity College bank account:

Bank Of Ireland
Business Desk
College Green
Dublin 2

Account Name: TCD No 7 Account
Account Number: 92771039
Sort Code: 900017
IBAN: IE 03 BOFI 9000 1792 7710 39
Swift Code: BOFI IE 2D

All students must include their student number in the narrative of EFT payments. Failure to do so may delay the updating of the payment on your account.

Students should be aware that it will take 10 working days for these payments to be updated on to your account.

Pay to Study (Recommended Option for International Students)
Pay to Study allows you to make your international payments free of charge, while receiving competitive foreign exchange rates. Where Pay to Study has a local bank account, you will not be subjected to any international wire fees and will be able to pay in your local currency. Pay to Study receipts are also accepted by visa and immigration agencies. To access Pay to Study system see here, and you can find further instructions on how to pay here.

I am a Non EU student and I need to apply for a Visa. How can I get a fees receipt?

Once the student has made any payment in regards to fees their receipt will be available to print from the portal. If required this same receipt can be requested from the Academic Registry which will also be stamped and signed.

Do I pay an application fee?

Yes, the application fee for postgraduate programmes is a non-refundable fee of €55. 

Do I have to pay the €8.00 USI Levy?

The USI levy is an optional charge. 

How do I register?

The Academic Registry issues an ‘Invite to Register’ intray message to all new entrants and continuing students eligible to register for the forthcoming academic year through their portal throughout August. Further details can be found here.

What happens if I register late for a course in TCD?

This is a fee penalty of €212 for students who register beyond the deadline. You will be notified of this via your portal. Students who fail to register will be made withdrawn from their course and will have to apply for readmission.

This fee is part of the terms and conditions of registration and is detailed in the College Calendar.

It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they are registered in a timely fashion.

Can I claim tax relief on my tuition fees?

Tax relief applies to full time and part time undergraduate students who are paying a tuition fee. The undergraduate student contribution, student Sports Centre charge and the USI levy are not a tuition fee.

Can I claim Tax relief on Student Contribution?

Families with two or more children liable for the new student contribution will qualify for tax relief on payments arising from second and subsequent sibling liability.  Please see Revenue Information Leaflet IT31 for further information.


Can I stay in Ireland after I complete my studies to seek employment?

Ireland is one of the only European countries to provide a two year graduate work visa. The Irish Third Level Graduate scheme exists to allow legally resident non-EEA third level graduates to remain in Ireland for the purpose of seeking employment and applying for a green card or work permit. The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service provide full details and FAQs on their website. Click here to learn more. The Trinity Careers Service also provides information. Click here to find out more.


Return to top of page >>