CountriesUsing the table below supply the Russian for the following names of countries
- Great Britain
- Czech Republic
- Чешская Республика (Чехия)
2) The Russian words you already know. Match the following Russian words and English-language definitions.
- A country house or cottage in Russia
- a fortified medieval Russian city; the most famous one is in Moscow and now houses the central offices of the Russian government
- a Russian-made sub-machine-gun, used especially by terrorists and guerrillas
- a traditional Russian musical instrument of triangular shape with three strings
- a small sometimes moveable booth from which newspapers and cigarettes are sold
- a Ukrainian, Russian and Polish soup based on beetroot
- a violent and sudden uprising, political revolt; a coup d'etat
- an alcoholic drink originating in Russia, made from grain, potatoes, etc
- an extensive grassy plain usually without trees
- an organised persecution or extermination of an ethnic group, especially of Jews
- any of a series of Soviet artificial satellites; the first one orbited the earth in 1957
- the capital of the Russian federation
- the most prominant Russian ballet company
- the policy of restructuring the Soviet economy under the leadership of Mikhail Gorbachev
- the Russian-state airline
- the Soviet secret police after 1954
- the standard monetary unit of Russia
- until 1917 the emperor of Russia
- Большой балет
Public AmenitiesSelecting your answers from the list of words supplied on the right, answer the following questions
Where would you go to:
- attend a ballet?
- attend a football match?
- attend a lecture?
- attend a play?
- catch a plane?
- catch an underground train?
- dance the night away?
- drink a cup of coffee?
- have a drink?
- have a meal?
- read a book?
- see a siberian tiger?
- walk your dog?
- get money?
Russian leadersSupply the English equivalent of the following Russian rulers. Their dates have been supplied to help you.
Петр I (1682-1725)
Екатерина II (1762-1796)
Николай II (1894-1917)
Путин (2000- )
CompetitionSubmit a project (group or individual) on one of the following topics, and you could win a €50 book token!