Module Code: POU11012
Module Name: Introduction to Political Science B 2020-21
- ECTS Weighting: 5
- Semester/Term Taught: Semester 2
- Contact Hours: 2 Hours Lecture per week; 1 fortnightly tutorial
- Module Personnel: Dr Emanuel Coman
On successful completion of this module students should be able to apply their knowledge to understand problems in the world of politics, by using fundamental concepts and theoretical tools learned in class.
Module Learning Aims
The course has two aims:
1. To equip students with a basic knowledge of the key problems and questions around which politics revolves.
2. To equip students with the fundamental conceptual, theoretical and analytical tools used in the consideration of political questions.
There are 2 main sections in the course. The first section examines issues such as electoral systems, political parties, and public opinion. The second section examines developments in global governance, with a particular focus on themes in European union politics and international relations.
Recommended Reading List
Key Reading: Andrew Heywood, Politics 4th edition (Palgrave: 2013)
Tutorial Attendance / Submission - weighted 10%
Short assingment - weighted 20%
Final essay - weighted 70%