Introduction to Political Science A
Module Code: POU11011
Module Name: Introduction to Political Science A 2019-20
- ECTS Weighting: 5
- Semester/Term Taught: Semester 1
- Contact Hours: 2 Hours Lecture per week; 1 fornightly tutorial
- Module Personnel: Lecturer - Prof Raj S. Chari
On successful completion of this module students should be able to apply their knowledge to understand problems in the world of politics, by using fundamental concepts and theoretical tools learned in class.
Module Learning Aims
The course has two aims:
1. To equip students with a basic knowledge of the key problems and questions around which politics revolves.
2. To equip students with the fundamental conceptual, theoretical and analytical tools used in the consideration of political questions.
There are 2 main sections in the course. The first section considers the basic principles of politics, including discussions of power, the major ideologies, the state, and democracy. The second section examines main political institutions including the executive, the judiciary and interest groups.
Recommended Reading List
Key Reading: Andrew Heywood, Politics 4th edition (Palgrave: 2013)
Assessment Details (TBC)
One mid term MCQ weighted 20%
End of term essay weighted 80%