PY4T02: Electron & Photon Physics Part 1
Quantum Theory of Light
- Planck distribution and shot noise
- Photon counting statistics: Poissonian, sub-Possonian, super-Possonian.
- Statistics of a single-mode thermal field and classical chaotic light
- Mode expansion of the field and cavities
- Quantization of the field.
- Stimulated emission, spontaneous emission, and lasing
- Operators for the electric and magnetic field
- Classical and non-classical states of light -- coherent states, number states.
- Counting distributions and field distributions.
- Light-matter interactions. The Jaynes-Cummings model, vacuum Rabi splitting, Rabi oscillations
15/11/16, ** New ** handout on stimulated emission, spontaneous emission, and lasing
25/10/16, Corrected problem set 2 question 5e.
5/10/15, Reformatted handouts to print 6-up.
30/4/14, corrected typo in derivation of Poisson photocount distribution; result unaffected.
26/9/14, fixed some typos in quantum mechanics revision, reorganized problem sheets + added question.
6/10/14, minor errors in part 1 and first problem sheet.
11/11/14, fixed typo, extended questions, on problem sheets 2 and 3.
- Handout part 1
- Handout part 2 (emission, absorption, lasers) ** New **
- Handout for quantum-mechanics revision
- First problem sheet
- Second problem sheet
- Third problem sheet
- C. Gerry and P. L. Knight, Introductory quantum optics, Cambridge University Press 2005.
- Mark Fox, Quantum optics, Oxford University Press 2006.
- R. Loudon, The quantum theory of light, 3rd ed., OUP 2000. Advanced, but a classic with an excellent balance of physics and formalism.