Prof. Werner J. Blau is internationally known for his work in Advanced Materials Physics and interdisciplinary molecular and polymer nanoscience. His research group at Trinity College Dublin is one of the largest, most active and best-known Nanomaterials groups in Ireland. It has been one of the first in the world to adopt an interdisciplinary approach including Chemists, Physicists, Materials Scientists, Optical and Electronic Engineers, and Polymer Technologists. The Blau group was founded in 1983.
Education and Employment
- Born in 1954 in Regensburg, Germany.
- 2013 China National High-end Foreign Expert at Shanghai Institute of Optics
- 2012 Honoured Professor at SIOM, Chinese Academy of Science, Shanghai
- 2012 Visiting Honorary Professor, Northwest University, Xi’an, China
- 2011 Adjunct Professor of Physics, University of Houston, USA
- 2006 Honorary Professor of Chemistry at East China University of Science and Technology
- 2003 - date Personal Chair in Physics of Advanced Materials in Trinity College Dublin
- 2002 Awarded ScD Degree by Trinity College Dublin
- 1998 - 2003 Head of Department of the Physics Department
- 1997 – 2004 Research Director of the Sami Nasr Institute for Advanced Materials, Trinity College
- 1992 - 2008 Research Director of the TCD Advanced Polymer Research Centre
- 1991 - 2003 Associate Professor in the Science of Materials/Physics
- 1986-1991 Lecturer in the Science of Materials/Physics
- 1979 & 1983 Dipl. Phys. Univ. and Dr. rer.nat. (PhD equiv.)
- Degrees from Regensburg University, Germany
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics, Fellow of the Institute of Nanotechnology, Fellow of Trinity College Dublin, Member of the Royal Irish Academy Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Science Shanghai Dublin
Publication & Citation
According to the ISI Web of Science, Prof. Blau has published 462 peer reviewed papers which were cited 14853 times to-date. His h-index is 60, Average Citations per Item (reviewed papers): 33. At present, 12 of his papers are classified as ‘Highly Cited’. In addition, he has also published approx. 110 refereed papers in conference proceedings, edited 6 books, book chapters and special issues, plus co-authored 17 patents and patent applications. Including all these, Google Scholar (graph below) quotes 18653 citations, giving an h-index of 66. This provides clear independent verification of his international reputation.
The work on Nanomaterials has received international attention; see e.g. write-ups in Nature, New Scientist, Materials Today, Chemistry World, ACS Chemical and Engineering News, Advanced Materials, Laser & Optics Europe. Articles and interviews have also been presented in the media. (Australia, Chile, Germany, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, UK etc.)