3 Tesla MRI
The 3T MRI lab houses a Philips Achieva 3T system. Its most important features and technical specifications are:
- Magnet system: Actively shielded, super-conducting magnet, field strength 3 Tesla, whole body (157 cm in length, 60cm bore size), weight 5500 kg
- Gradient system: Quasar Dual High Performance Gradient System: Actively shielded gradient with 80mT/m peak, 200mT/m/ms slew rate, 100% duty cycle.
- RF system: Scalable 32 parallel receiver channels architecture, Philips flex coils, quadrature body and head coils, phased array coils, and 8, 16 & 32 channel array coils.
- Examples of studies which can be carried out on the 3T system include:
- 'Conventional' MR images based on T 1 , T 2 or proton density;
- High resolution anatomical imaging;
- Arterial spin labelling for measuring blood perfusion through tissue;
- Molecular diffusion of water through tissue using Diffusion Imaging including Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI), Diffusion Weighted Imaging (DWI) and fiber tractography (FT)
- Magnetisation transfer contrast;
- Blood Oxygenation Level-Dependent (BOLD) imaging to show areas of brain activated by stimuli - functional MRI (fMRI).