Dr Jack Quin B.A., M.A. (QUB), Ph.D. (York) Irish Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow
Research and Teaching Interests
I am an IRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the School of English. I completed my Ph.D. on W.B. Yeats and the art of sculpture at the University of York, where my research was funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, U.K. I am currently revising my thesis into a monograph, and working on a new postdoctoral project, ‘Body Doubles: Modern Irish poetry and sculpture.’ I examine the poetical and critical engagement with public monuments, abstract sculpture, medal and coin designs, museum artefacts and a variety of objet d’arts in the Victorian and Modernist periods. To understand the relationship between modern poetry and sculpture my project necessarily crosses disciplines and periods, contributing to our understanding of the verbal and visual arts, and the intersecting fields of Victorian, Modernist and Irish Studies.
In 2018, I was a Leverhulme Trust postdoctoral research fellow in Trinity. From 2016-2017, I worked as a research assistant on the interdisciplinary project ‘W.B. Yeats and the Writing of Art’ led by Dr Tom Walker. I co-curated an exhibition, ‘Writing Art in Ireland, 1890-1930’ that ran from September 2016 to January 2017 in the Old Library (Book of Kells library), and I co-organised a symposium on Yeats and the arts in the Long Room Hub (Sept. 2016). In York I convened numerous symposia and events on modern poetry and poetics, and I co-organised an international conference ‘Poetic Measures’ (July 2016).
I have taught on both graduate and undergraduate courses at Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, University of York, and Babeș-Bolyai University, Romania as an Erasmus+ teaching fellow.
Recent and Forthcoming Publications
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- ‘Some master of design’: W.B. Yeats and the Free State coinage, Modernist Cultures (forthcoming)
- John Hewitt’s curatorial eye: art and poetry in the municipal galleries, Irish Studies Review, Vol. 27, No. 4 (November 2019)
- W.B. Yeats and the sculpture of Brancusi, International Yeats Studies, Vol. 2, No. 1 (November 2017)
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- ‘Illustrating Yeats’, in Oxford Handbook of W. B. Yeats, ed. Matthew Campbell and Lauren Arrington (Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2022)
- ‘Dora Sigerson’, in Acts of Attention: Irish Women Poets, 18th-20th Centuries, ed. Maria Johnston and Connor Linnie (forthcoming 2019)
- Review of Curious Disciplines: Mina Loy and Avant-Garde Artisthood, Sarah Hayden, Review of English Studies, (July 2019)
- Review of Post-Ireland: Essays on Contemporary Irish Poetry, ed. Jefferson Holdridge and Brian Ó Conchubhair, Irish Studies Review, Vol. 26, No. 2, (2018), pp. 292-293.
- Review of Northern Irish Poetry and Theology, Gail McConnell, and A Chastened Communion: Modern Irish Poetry and Catholicism, Andrew J. Auge, Irish University Review, Vol. 45, No. 2 (2015), pp. 391-396.
Dr Jack Quin
IRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of English
Trinity College Dublin