Web server usage
7. Statement of usage for Trinity web servers www.tcd.ie and www.tcdlife.ie
Trinity web servers www.tcd.ie and www.tcdlife.ie are the main Trinity informational sites suitable for storing public information about Trinity. In order to comply with relevant polices and ensure appropriate use of these servers, and the service they provide, please note the following usage policy:
- The installation of applications on www.tcd.ie and www.tcdlife.ie by users is not permitted.
- Users are not permitted to develop applications (for example PHP and MySQL) on www.tcd.ie or www.tcdlife.ie Where additional functionality is required an application should be made to the Project Management Office or submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MySQL databases are allocated for the purpose of content delivery only. They should not be used to generate and store data, particularly personal data, or as part of an application.
- www.tcd.ie and www.tcdlife.ie are public internet facing servers and their stated purpose is as informational sites suitable for storing public information for general public consumption. Their function is not to store confidential personal data in a database or a file.
- The use and design of Trinity website in relation to Data Protection must comply with legal requirements and Trinity's web privacy statement.
Personal data, including sensitive personal data, is information relating to a living individual who is, or can be, identified, either from the data or from the data in conjunction with other information.
This is a highly regulated area and in order to assist Trinity users in complying with the relevant legislation and Trinity policies please see the following:
- Data Protection Legislation - https://www.tcd.ie/info_compliance/data-protection/legislation/
- College Data Protection Policy - https://www.tcd.ie/about/policies/data_protection.php
Users requiring the functionality as described above should contact the IT Services helpdesk (email@example.com) where alternate means of implementing all requests will be examined.