View audio/video clip of Mr Barry Moran talking about the Flow Cytometry Facility (mp4, 43.2MB)
The Flow Cytometry Facility within the School of Biochemistry and Immunology was set up in 2005 and is now located in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute. With one state-of-the-art cell sorter, four flow cytometers, an in vivo fluorescence & luminescence imager, an automated cell counter, and a fluorescence microscope, it is one of the best equipped core facilities in Ireland.
- FACSAria Fusion (BD): a 4 laser, 16 colour high speed cell sorter, capable of sorting cells up to four populations at once, into a number of different tubes/ plates/ slides.
- LSRFortessa (BD): a 4 laser analyzer, capable of analyzing up to 16 fluorescence parameters at once, at acquisition rates of up to 40,000 events per second.
- FACSCanto II (BD): a 3 laser analyzer, capable of analyzing up to eight fluorescence parameters at once, at acquisition rates of up to 10,000 events per second.
- Accuri (BD): a 2 laser analyzer, capable of analyzing up to four fluorescence parameters at once, at acquisition rates of up to 10,000 events per second.
- CyAn ADP (Beckman Coulter): a 3 laser analyzer, capable of analyzing up to nine fluorescence parameters at once, at acquisition rates of up to 50,000 events per second.
With >150 regular users from various Schools within TCD as well as other institutions this is a very busy facility with extensive experience in many areas, in particular immunophenotyping and intracellular cytokine analysis, cell activation, cell cycle, and apoptosis studies. With a dedicated manager, training, supervision, and assistance is provided in all aspects from experimental design through instrument set up, data acquisition and analysis.
Sorting services are provided on the FACSAria Fusion Cell Sorter whereby the prepared samples are brought to the facility and the required populations (up to 4 populations at a time) are selected and purified. Experimental design and assistance etc. is provided. Operation of the sorter may be available to “Power Users”, where extensive sorter training has been provided to experienced personnel.
The cytometers are available to trained operators (training must be completed before use), with training and/or experimental and technical assistance provided. Data analysis may be performed on-site via an Analysis PC with Flowjo, FACSDiva, Summit, and Accuri C6 software, or off-site with various analysis packages.
Sorting services and use of the cytometers is charged at an hourly rate, with prices varying for TCD, academic, and industrial researchers.
FACSCanto II and LSRFortessa should be booked a maximum of two hours between 9-5, Mon-Fri.
BD Accuri C6 and CyAn should be booked a maximum of three hours between 9-5, Mon-Fri.
All instruments may be booked as long as necessary outside these hours.
If last user (or scheduled to be last user and cancelled), please ensure instrumentation is shut down and powered off.
Please contact next user as a courtesy if cancelling a booking, or finishing before time. Cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to booking.
New Users should view details on the Booking System window.
Any formal presentations or publications resulting from work performed in the facility should be acknowledged.
If considerable input into experimental design, sorting of samples, and/or analysis of results has been provided then co-authorship should be considered on subsequent publications.