MPhil in Chinese Studies 中国研究（哲学硕士/研究生文凭)
Designed for those with a global mindset, this intensive taught Master's degree in Chinese Studies offers a unique opportunity for you to engage deeply and critically with China today, and provides a solid and rigorous grounding for your career aspirations. Delivered by expert faculty as well as regular guest speakers from business and industry, this programme will develop the skills necessary to succeed in an international environment. It is available as a one-year, full-time programme or a two-year, part-time programme.
- Apply online. The extended deadline is 31 July 2021. Late applications may be considered on request.
- Email us at email@example.com to get help with your application or to request a personal call-back.
Programme at a glance
- The programme involves six taught modules (three core, three elective) and a research project. Full-time students take three modules over two terms; the research project is prepared during the third term. Part-time students take three modules each year over two years
- Modules are assessed through a combination of presentations and written assignments
- In your dissertation project, you will showcase the knowledge you have gained in Chinese Studies by undertaking primary research in a particular area
- A wide range of optional Mandarin language classes and support, catering for all students from complete beginners to advanced learners
- Weekly lunchtime Mandarin conversation group and reading group
- Active community of professionals, practitioners and researchers, with many China-focused extramural events running throughout the year
- In-country or in-culture experience available through the Experience China module, delivering a four-week internship in a Chinese or China-related organisation in a Chinese-speaking country, in Europe or in Ireland
- Consult the current full timetable here
- Browse the current course handbook here (includes full module descriptions & course regulations)
- Read more about scholarship opportunities in Chinese Studies
- Application deadline 30 June 2021
- An induction course for all incoming M.Phil. students will be held prior to the course start date
- Teaching lasts for 12 weeks in two terms, Michaelmas term and Hilary term. The first teaching term, Michaelmas term, begins in September. The academic year runs from September to the end of August. The dissertation deadline is the 31st of August each year.
- In 2021/22, teaching in Michaelmas term will start on Monday 13 September and finish on Friday 29 November, with study week running from 25-29 October. Teaching in Hilary term will start on Monday 24 January 2022 and finish on Friday 11 April, with study week running from 7-11 March.
- Apply online. Offers are issued on a rolling basis, so it is important to apply early. The deadline is 30 June 2021. Late applications may be considered on request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For further application information please see our full guidelines here including information on course fees.
- The M.Phil. Course Coordinator Ning Jiang and our admissions team (email@example.com) are available to help you with any aspect of the application process. Please email to request a call-back.
- You will be asked to supply the following information during your online application:
- Details of your undergraduate degree (min. 2.1 result or international equivalent)
- Proficiency level in English for non-native speakers who have not studied through English at undergraduate level
- Two academic references, or one academic and one professional reference for applicants from a professional background
- Our M.Phil. in Chinese Studies students are in high demand after graduation. During your time with us you will develop the subject training, transferable skills and cross-cultural competence you will need to pursue an international career in a China-related area
- Trinity alumni have access to an exceptional network of employers across the world. Graduates from Trinity are ranked 1st in Ireland for graduate employment rate and alumni outcomes, and are ranked among the most employable graduates in the world (QS 2020)
- The university offers a bespoke careers service for all international students and students enrolled in our taught postgraduate courses, including opportunities and pathways for graduates in Chinese Studies, and delivers tailor-made workshops and consultations
- All international students registered at Trinity may apply for an extension to their student visa for two years, starting on the day upon which they receive their final results. This allows you to remain in Ireland and to seek full-time employment in Ireland for two years after your Master's degree - an outstanding opportunity for you to kick start your career here.
- Students in Chinese Studies are assigned a dedicated Careers Consultant to help you reach your full potential. You can access the full range of services and view events and vacancies by logging onto MyCareer
- Graduates from the M.Phil. in Chinese Studies have gone on to a wide range of careers including business and industry, communications, public affairs, diplomacy, arts & heritage and academia
Please contact us with your queries by emailing our admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org
The M.Phil. in Chinese Studies at Trinity was the best choice. During my year of academic training, I learned about key research methodologies and findings in political science, translation, linguistics, cultural studies and Chinese history. Importantly, I have gained a lot from studying in small classes. Not only can I now discuss different topics with professors and classmates deeply, but I can also explore further discussions with confidence. Really good academic atmosphere and a valuable study experience!"
Sam Lee, M.Phil. in Chinese Studies (2019)
"As a Chinese student, studying Chinese Studies abroad at Trinity College Dublin was a wise choice for me. The study of the humanities and social sciences here requires not only reflection but also objective and critical thinking. Going out of China was precisely the best way for me to deepen my understanding of China"
Yang Jinlong, M.Phil. in Chinese Studies graduate (2018)
作为一个中国学生，赴海外在圣三一大学学习中国研究是我的一个明智选择。在这里对人文社科的学习不仅要求结合个人经历，并且要求客观公正的态度和挑战式的思维方式。从一个外部的角度来审视 中国，是一个最好的加深对中国理解的方式。 - 杨金龙 2018级中国研究硕士学生
"Doing the M.Phil in Chinese Studies has been one of the best experiences of my life. I was fascinated by the idea of doing Master's on such a contemporary area in a university with such history and reputation. Our department pulses with the energy of doing something ambitious, unique and new. The teaching body is made up of staff with incredible experience, some working on the newest issues in China. There is an atmosphere of expertise, care and growth."
Barbara Lecis, HubSpot, Associate Customer Support Specialist
Barbara Lecis 2017级中国研究硕士学生
"The M.Phil. in Chinese Studies here at Trinity College provides everything a student could wish for, an academic team always ready to help you grow, and a world of possibilities in the heart of a pulsing city! The course is structured so that students can really challenge themselves in an incredibly stimulating environment. My academic skills have developed greatly, and I have also made exceptional friends here. The team is always available for help. I chose Trinity because it is a research-intensive university, ranked top in Ireland, and I have not been disappointed in any way. The M.Phil. in Chinese Studies offers modules about contemporary China, analyzing different aspects of this great, complex country. One of the best experiences I will ever have!"
Chiara Mastronardo, Gerson Lehrman Group, PSF Client Solutions Associate