- TCD/UCD Development Research Seminar Series : The Role of Branding in NGOs. Delivered by Ms. Karen Hand , PhD Candidate, School of Psychology , Centre of Global Health.
- TCD/UCD Development Research Seminar Series: A Perspective on the Human Resource Issues Facing the Overseas Development Sector. Delivered by Frank Flood.
- Africa Day Event: Scaling Up Agriculture: Sharing challenges and experiences of modernising agriculture in Ireland and Africa.
- The Neoliberal Policy Paradigm and the Great Recession delivered by Dr. Howard Stein, Department of Afroamerican and Africa Studies, University of Michigan.
- The Political Economy of Green Growth delivered by Finn Tarp, Prof. of Economics and Director, UNU-WIDER, Finland
- Sustainable Development and the Future of Development Cooperation
- Protecting Human Rights Defenders delivered by Mary Lawlor, Executive Director of Frontline
- Climate Justice and Food Security delivered by Dr. Mary Robinson, President, Mary Robinson Foundation – Climate Justice
- Trinity Development Research Week 2011
- Growing Up in Informal Settlements: Options for Urban Poor Children and Youth in Developing Countries
- Africa Day Event: Investing in Africa: Society, Agriculture and Enterprise
- The Interdisciplinary Nature of Global Health: The Role of Universities
- Launch of the The Development Studies Association Ireland (DSAI)
- Celebrate Africa Day: Food for Thought "Revitalising African Agriculture for Food Security and Poverty Alleviation"
- Water, Food Security and Climate Change: The Global Challenge
- Memory, Culture and Hope: Reinventing Western-Islamic Relations Presentation delivered by Dr. Ismail Serageldin, Librarian of Alexandria.
- Climate Change Research
- Launch of the Trocaire Development Review: Business, Ethics and International Development: Which Way Forward?
- On Global Confusion: Lecture by Nobel Laureate Professor Amarty Sen
- The Africa Day Event: Africa - Moving Forward
TIDI Podcasts 2012:
Wednesday 23rd May
Africa Day Event:
Scaling Up Agriculture: Sharing challenges and experiences of modernising agriculture in Ireland and Africa.
Addresses by distinguished speakers:
- Minister Simon Coveney, T.D., Department of Agriculture Food and the Marine
- Minister of State, Joe Costello, T.D., Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- H.E. Catherine Muigai Mwangi, Ambassador of Kenya to Ireland
- Chaired by Prof. David Taylor, Department of Geography and Chair of TIDI, TCD.
This panel includes presentations and discussion with:
- Prof. Patrick Paul Walsh, School of Politics and International Relations, University College Dublin
- Dr. Philip Damas, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania
- Mr. Leonard Nawiri, Head of Audit and Assessment, Partner Africa, Kenya
- Dr. Carol Newman, Department of Economics, Trinity College Dublin
- Mr. Kevin Friel, Marketing Manager, Consumer Foods Division, Irish Dairy Board
- Chaired by Prof. David Taylor, Department of Geography and Chair of TIDI, TCD.
Monday 16th April
Friday 23rd March
Wednesday 14th March
- Joe Costello TD, Minister of State for Trade and Development
- Brian Atwood, Chair, OECD Development Assistance Committee
- Chaired by Dr. Mary Robinson, President, Mary Robinson Foundation - Climate Justice
- Discussants Justin Kilcullen, Director, Trocaire
- Professor Paul Walsh, University College Dublin
- Professor Padraig Carmody, Trinity College Dublin.
Friday 9th March
TIDI Podcasts 2011:
Friday 25th November
Monday 7th November:
Session 1: Lunchtime Session: 'Democracy, Development, and Economic Justice' by Nitasha Kaul, Economist and Writer
Session 2: How Can a University Change the World? Presenting TCD Research for Development
- “TIDI – Opportunities for Engagement” by David Taylor, TIDI Chair, School of Natural Sciences
- “The Micro-foundations of Development: an Exploration of Access to Resources and the Livelihoods of the Rural Poor in Vietnam” by Carol Newman, Department of Economics/IIIS
- “Sustainable Groundwater Development” by Bruce Misstear, School of Engineering
- “Developing Cardiac Rehabilitation in Vietnam” by Juliette Hussey, Department of Physiotherapy
- “EquitAble and the Equiframe Manual” by
Joanne McVeigh, Centre for Global Health
Tuesday 8th November
Session 3: Lunchtime Session: How to Fund Development Research
Session 4: Financing for Development: Tobin Taxes, National Tax Systems and International Tax Transparency
- Micheál Collins, Senior Research Officer at the Economic Research Unit.
- Sorley McCaughey, Policy and Advocacy Officer, Christian Aid Ireland
- Chaired by Frank Barry, School of Business/IIIS, TCD
Wednesday 9th November
Session 5: Lunchtime Session: Band-Aid Pedagogy, Celebrity Humanitarianism and Cosmopolitan Provincialism: Dominant Representations of International Development and their Impact on Development Activism
by Audrey Bryan, St. Patrick’s College Drumcondra.
Session 6: Evidence Based Aid: Helping Decision Makers Before and After Natural Disasters
- Ciara O’Brien, Director, Emergency and Recovery Section, Irish Aid
- Bonnix Kayabu, Evidence Aid
- Chaired by Mike Clarke, Queen’s University Belfast, and TCD Centre for Global Health.
Thursday 10th November
Session 7: Climate Change Challenges
Panel 1: Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation
- Camilla Toulmin, International Institute for Environment and Development
- Tara Shine, Mary Robinson Foundation, Climate Justice
- John Barry, Queen’s University Belfast
- Chaired by Padraig Carmody, School of Natural Sciences, TCD
Panel 2: Climate Change and Health with speakers
- Niall Roche, Irish Forum for Global Health,
- Elizabeth Cullen, Irish Doctors’ Environmental Association
- David Taylor, School of Natural Sciences, TCD.
Session 8: Democracy, Peace and Development in Africa
- “African Basis of the Idea of Democracy and Development” by David Nyaluke, Dublin City University
- “Peace in The Great Lakes Region: Case of Democratic Republic of Congo” by Arnold Kashembe, University College Limerick
- “Peace in the Great Lakes States: The case of Zanzibar in Tanzania” by Lupa Ramadhani, University College Dublin
- “Peace and Conflict in Western Africa: The case of Sierra Leone and Liberia” by Walt Kilroy, Dublin City University
Friday 11th November
Session 9: Development Research: From Theory to Practice
- Ciara Cummins, MSc in Environment and Development, TCD
- Claire Hawkins, Masters in Development Practice, TCD
- Nuha Ibrahim and Karen Hand, International Doctorate in Global Health (INDIGO), TCD
- Chaired by Mac MacLachlan, Centre for Global Health and School of Psychology, TCD.
Panel discussion with Bronagh Carr, Development Specialist, Policy, Planning and Effectiveness Section, Irish Aid, Paul Walsh, University College Dublin, Enida Friel, Oxfam and Connell Foley, Concern, Sorley McCaughey, Christian Aid.
Session 10: The Business of Aid by Derek Fee, Former Head of Delegation of the European Commission to Zambia.
Monday 12th September
‘Growing Up in Informal Settlements: Options for Urban Poor Children and Youth in Developing Countries’
Lecture delivered by Prof. Mary Racelis, Research Scientist at the Institute of Philippine Culture, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines.
Wednesday 25th May 2011
- Minister of State for Trade and Development, Jan O’Sullivan
- Kenyan Ambassador HE Catherine Muigai Mwangi
- Chair: Charlie Bird, Chief News Correspondent, RTE
Panel on the Role of Agriculture in African Development:
- Dr. Marcela Villarreal, Director Gender, Equity and Rural Employment Division, Food and Agriculture Organisation
- Kalongo Chitengi, Zambia Country Director, Self Help Africa
Panel on the Role of Enterprise in African Development:
- Prof. Margaret Kigozi, Executive Director, Uganda Investment Authority
- Dr. Eoin Gahan, Head of Trade, Environment and Survey Analysis, Forfás
- Prof. Keith Palmer, Executive Chairman, AgDevCo
TIDI Podcasts 2010:
Lecture delivered by Prof. Thomas Quinn, Director of the Centre for Global Health at Johns Hopkins University, US.
To listen to the presentations delivered by following speakers, please click on the link below:
- Postcolonial Humanitarians? A History of Irish Aid: Kevin O'Sullivan, IRCHSS Post-doctoral Research Fellow, UCD School of History & Archives
- Policy Coherence for Development: Michael King, TCD
- The Impact of Conservation Agriculture on Food Security in Zimbabwe: Paul Wagstaff, Agricultural Advisor, Concern Worldwide
- Where Next for the MDGs?: Olive Moore and Maeve Bateman, Trócaire
Tuesday 25th May 2010
Celebrate Africa Day: Food for Thought "Revitalising African Agriculture for Food Security and Poverty Alleviation"
- Dr. Ousmane Badiane, Director for Africa, International Food Policy Research Institute
- Dr. Steven Were Omamo, Deputy Director, Policy, Planning and Strategy Division, UN World Food Programme.
Lecture delivered by Prof. Cees Veerman, Former Dutch Minister for Agriculture, Nature Management and Fisheries and Professor at Tilburg and Wageningen Universities.
TIDI Podcasts 2009:
Presentation delivered by Dr. Ismail Serageldin, Librarian of Alexandria.
Presentations delivered by TCD researchers Prof. Mike Jones, Dr. Clionadh Raleigh, Mr. Laurence Gill and Prof Mark Dyer.
11th November 2009
Launch of the Trocaire Development Review: Business, Ethics and International Development: Which Way Forward?
Seminar 1: Accountability and the State’s Duty to Protect: The role of Guidelines and Pension Funds
Seminar 2: Incentives for a sustainable agenda between business and development: Taxation, FDI and the role of SMEs
Discussion on the Role of Business in Development.
Amartya Sen Lecture: 9th July 2009
Africa Day: 25th May 2009