Candidates for Provostship
Five candidates were officially declared for Provostship of Trinity College Dublin following the closing date for receipt of nominations at 12 noon on 7 February 2011. They are:
- John Boland, Professor of Chemistry, Director of the CRANN Nanoscience Institute at TCD
- Des Fitzgerald, Professor of Molecular Medicine, Vice-President for Research at UCD
- Colm Kearney, Professor of International Business at TCD
- Jane Ohlmeyer, Erasmus Smith's Professor of Modern History at TCD
- Patrick Prendergast, Professor of Engineering at TCD (currently Vice-Provost/ Chief Academic Officer at TCD, who in accordance with the statutes, has stepped aside for the duration of the appointment process)
A sixth validly nominated candidate, Professor Robin Coningham, announced his withdrawal from the process on 10 March 2011.
In order to officially declare their intention to run for election, each candidate must have been nominated by 12 members of the College’s electorate. The election to Provostship will take place on Saturday 2 April 2011.
The current Provost, Dr John Hegarty, ends his ten-year term of office on 1 August 2011.
For profiles on each of the candidates, including a list of their nominators, please click on their names above.