Trinity in the Headlines
TILDA Study Finds 4 out of 5 Over 50s in Ireland are Overweight or Obese
A new report by the Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA), led by Trinity College Dublin, was recently released showing that nearly four out of five adults over the age of 50 are overweight or obese. The report also highlighted the increased health risks and health services burden in older adults due to high rates of obesity.
The news was picked up extensively by RTE with coverage on radio news bulletins, the One, and Six TV News, Morning Ireland and Drivetime. Newstalk's Breakfast and George Hook shows also covered the report's findings in depth as did TV3's Midday Show.
In print, the report was covered throughout all national newspapers, was front page of the Irish Times and featured in editorials, comment pieces and follow up features in a number of papers including the Irish Times.
- RTE, Morning Ireland, Friday July 18th, 2014 (scroll to 7.35)
- RTE News (radio news bulletins) and online, July 18th, 2014
- Newstalk, The Breakfast Show, Friday July 18th, 2014 (scroll to 51 mins)
- RTE News at One, Friday July 18th, 2014
- RTE Six One News, Friday July 18th, 2014
- RTE Radio 1, Drivetime, Friday July (News report at 35mins; interview at 1.48)
- RTE News, Friday July 18th, 2014
- Newstalk, The Right Hook, Friday July 18th, 2014 (scroll to 11.35)
- TV3, The Midday Show, July 21st, 2014 (scroll to 11.00 and 34.00 mins)
- Irish Times, July 18th, 2014
- Irish Times Editorial, July 21st, 2014
- Irish Times, Fintan O'Toole, July 22nd, 2014
- Irish Examiner, July 18th, 2014
- Irish Independent, July 18th, 2014
- TheJournal.ie, Friday July 18th, 2014
- TheJournal.ie Poll, Friday July 18th, 2014
Trinity Zoologists Discover Bird Species in Indonesia
A team of zoologists characterised a new species of colourful bird, called the Wakatobi Flowerpecker, in Indonesia.
News of their discovery appeared in print publications such as The Irish Times and The Irish Independent, and was featured on the front page of The Metro Herald.
The news was also covered on RTE's Morning Ireland, Morning Edition and Mooney Goes Wild, and appeared online on websites such as The Independent, Delhi Daily News, Canada News, SBS Australia and Nature World News.
- The Irish Times, Friday June 6th, 2014
- The Irish Independent, Thursday June 5th, 2014
- The Metro Herald, Thursday June 5th, 2014
- Morning Ireland, Thursday June 5th, 2014
- Morning Edition, Thursday June 5th, 2014, scroll to 1:09:49
- Mooney Goes Wild, Friday June 6th, 2014
- The Independent, Thursday June 5th, 2014
- Delhi Daily News, Thursday June 5th, 2014
- Canada News, Thursday June 5th, 2014
- SBS Australia, Thursday June 5th, 2014
- Nature World News, Friday June 6th, 2014
Simple Educational Initiative Dramatically Reduces Pre-Hospital Delay for Patients with Heart Attack/Angina Symptoms
The results of a Trinity College study about the significantly positive results of a simple educational initiative for patients with heart attack or angina symptoms were featured in the Irish Independent, Irish Examiner and Newstalk's Lunchtime show with Jonathan Healy.
- Irish Independent, Wednesday April 29th, 2014
- Irish Examiner, Wednesday April 29th, 2014
- Newstalk, Lunchtime with Jonathan Healy, Wednesday April 29th, 2014. Scroll to 15 mins approx