Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Menu Search

Frequently Asked Questions

Admission to Medicine

Q: Who do I contact regarding Admission to Medicine?

A: Please contact the Academic Registry directly regarding entry criteria and application queries.
The Academic Registry
Watts Building
Trinity College
Dublin 2  
Telephone: +353 1 896 4500

Mature and Advanced Entry to Medicine

Q: Who do I contact regarding Mature and Advanced Entry to Medicine?

A: Please contact the Academic Registry regarding Mature and Advanced entry criteria, using the details above. Please also refer to the Mature student Office website for useful information.
Room M36
Goldsmith Hall
Trinity College
Dublin 2  
Telephone: +353 1 896 1386

Vaccinations / Proof of Immunity (Pre-registered students)

Q: What vaccinations do I require to register as a student on the Medicine degree course at Trinity College?

A: In the interests of reducing the risk of the transmission of infectious disease, all registered students must be free from hepatitis B, hepatitis C, pulmonary tuberculosis, measles, rubella and chickenpox. 
All students offered a place on the Medicine degree course will be forwarded documentation outlining vaccination guidelines required for registration.

Q: Will the School of Medicine, TCD cover my proof of immunity and/or vaccination costs?

A: No, Students are personally responsible for full payment.

Q: Who do I contact if I have questions about the vaccination guidelines document I received with my letter of offer to study Medicine at TCD?

A: Please contact the
Medical Student Executive Officer,
School of Medicine,
Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute,
Trinity College, 152 - 160 Pearse Street,
Dublin 2.
Telephone: +353 1 896 1075

Q : Where can I request a copy or translation of my medical degree ?

A:  Please contact the Academic Registry, Telephone +353 1 896 4500



Q : I am a graduate and wish to practice abroad.  Who can I contact for my license application (e. g. USMLE, EICS)?

A:  Please contact the International Student Coordinator -  +353 1 896 3049 or

Q: I wish to Request Official School of Medicine documentation (e.g. academic transcript, MSPE, student status letter etc)

Samples of Documentation

A: Please follow this link for further information and to complete the online request form. If you have a specific requirement not listed, please leave a brief message in the "Other Relevant Details" section of the form, and we will contact you if we require further information.

Q: Can we choose our rotations in 3rd and 4th Year?

A: Rotations are allocated randomly based on the capacities available in each of our teaching departments.

Q:What are the rotations in 3rd Year?

A: Currently the rotations available are: Ophthalmology, ENT, Cardiology, Neurology, Breast, Colorectal, Oncology, Endocrine, General Medicine, Haematology, Hospice, Gastroenterology, Gerontology, Urology, Head and Neck, Hepatology, Orthopaedics, Respiratory, Rheumatology, Vascular, Cardiothoracic and Nephrology.

Q: Am I allocated to a specific hospital for the duration of my undergrad teaching?

A: Students are allocated to the departments across all of our Trinity Centres in Tallaght and St James' Hospital. Students will also have attachments in other hospitals.

Q: When will we begin clinical skills?

A: Clinical Skills begins in 2nd Year and is carried out in St James's Hospital and Tallaght Hospital

Q: I already have a current First Aid Certificate. Do I need to do this course again?

A: We recommend that all students complete this course, however a current First Aid certificate will suffice.  

Q: What happens if I am sick and miss some of my rotation?

A: You should contact the department on the first day of illness and let them know you are unable to attend. Medical Certificates to cover absence must be submitted to the Medical Student Executive Officer in the School Office within 3 days of the beginning of the period of absence in accordance with the general regulations of the College. It is also advisable to contact the team you are assigned to.

Q: What attachments do I attend in 4th Year

A: Obstetrics/Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Psychiatry and Public Health and Primary Care

Q: What Prizes are available in the School of Medicine in the Clinical Years?

A: Link to Prizes

Q:What financial assistance is available for medical students?

A: Link to Studentships

Q: How can I get my results on line

A: Please contact Academic Registry, (These results will be available after the School of Medicine publish the results at the end of the year, there are no historic results online)

Q: How do I get to the Education Centre/Trinity Centre for Health Sciences in Tallaght hospital?

A: Link to map (Ms Word 94 kB)

Q: Where do I find my exam timetables?

A: Please contact Academic Registry (Students will be notified once Timetables are available)

Q: How do I qualify for a Book Prize

A: Book prizes are awarded to students who achieve overall 1st class Honours in the annual exams. The award is posted out to you from the Examinations Office from October each year.

Q: If I am experiencing academic or personal difficulties what should I do?

A: The College and School offer a wide range of support for its students:

Sources of Support and Help in College

Student Counselling Service – 199 - 200 Pearse Street, Tel: 896 1407, or email: Emergency appointments are available. (Entrance to the Service via College Campus adjacent to the Creche). This service is confidential and free to students.
Chaplains – House 27,  Tel: Paddy Gleeson and Peter Sexton: 896 1260, Darren McCallig : 896 1402 ; Julian Hamilton : 896 1901 - The Chaplains run a Bereavement Support Group for those who have experienced loss (please contact the Chaplains). The Chaplains will also help you make contact with other religious communities in Dublin.
College Health Service – House 47 (beside the rugby pitch), Tel: 896 1556. Appointments may be made in person or by telephone. This service is free to most students.
College Tutors and Senior Tutor’s Office, House 27. Tel: 896 2551. You can find your tutor's name and contact number on the Student Information System Niteline - A confidential help-line for students run by students is available during term-time, by telephone between 9pm and 2.30am from Thursday to Sunday at 1800 793 793.
Student 2 Student - A group of Trinity students trained in listening and support skills who are available for face-to-face supportive chats. Confidential, free, and flexible. Email:, phone: 896 2438.

Q: Can you give me some information on the Foundation Scholarship?

A: .  

Q: I am a final year medical student. How do I apply for my intern year?

A:  There is now a National Intern Application Programme administered by the HSE. They meet with Final Meds in Michaelmas term and advise on all aspects of the application process. The School also carries the application forms and procedures on the School of Medicine website under the Postgraduate section.

Q: Where are the Intern Posts?

A:  Link to Internship

Q: How are places allocated for the Intern Year?

A: Students are ranked based on EU/EEA status and then academic ranking based on final exam results.

Q: What if I wish to apply to my home country’s Intern Programme?

A: This is a matter for each individual student to research. The School office is happy to provide the necessary documentation. Please note that adequate notice must be given for such requests as Dean’s letters take some time to compile.

Q: When will I find out if I have been allocated an Intern Post?

A: This is determined by the HSE/MET Unit but is usually mid-May.

Q: I am a non-EU final medical student. Am I guaranteed an intern placement if I get excellent results?

A: No student regardless of results or nationality is guaranteed an Intern post.

Q: What is the procedure for application for commencement?

A: Information is available from the Academic Registry

Helpful Links and Directions
Link to About Us - Affiliated Hospital and Contact Us - Interactive Maps