Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Trinity Academic Medical Centre

The School of Medicine and our two main teaching hospitals, St. James's and AMNCH, are reorganising into an Academic Medical Centre. The Academic Medical Centre would permit the hospitals to maximise their development as centres of knowledge generation and permit their appropriate integration into the knowledge economy. The development of such a system will also have significant impact on the quality of cutting edge tertiary and quaternary patient care. It provides a powerful partnership for development of increased capacity in terms of physical facility and human resource infrastructure. Major developments in association with hospitals will be Trinity Phase II facilities for building up areas of excellence in translational research in conjunction with Trinity Biosciences Development.

AMNCH Trinity College Dublin St. James's Hospital

Photographs from left to right: AMNCH, Trinity College Dublin and St. James's Hospital

Patricia Jean and Charles O'Morchoe Dr. Charles C. C. O'Morchoe (M.D., 1955) established a fellowship, which is endowed in perpetuity, for a student exchange programme between TCD School of Medicine and the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign. It is in memory of Dr. O'Morchoe's wife Patricia Jean O'Morchoe (nee Richardson), a Trinity medical graduate (M.D., 1955), and also in honour of his two ancestors, both famous scientists and professors at TCD. Charles and Patricia Jean were both on the faculty of TCD from 1957 to 1968. Dr. Charles O'Morchoe was elected a Fellow of TCD during that time. Subsequently he was a Professor at the University of Maryland, Head of the Anatomy Department of Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine and then Dean of the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign and now its Emeritus Dean and Professor.


Last updated 21 September 2016 by Tercentenary (Email).