Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

1873 - 1960

1873

Edward Hallaran Bennett elected Professor of Surgery. He is remembered for his description of Bennett's fracture of the thumb.

1883

Daniel John Cunningham appointed Professor of Anatomy and Chirurgery. His anatomy textbooks were used widely and for a considerable period of time.

1895

Chair of Pathology established.

1912

Bicentenary celebrations with guests from over one hundred universities and medical organisations worldwide. Several distinguished guests including Sir William Osler received honorary degrees.

1913

First woman to graduate in medicine in Trinity.

1914-18

Sixty graduates of the School of Physic lost their lives and many more were wounded in the Great War.

1922

Alexander Charles O'Sullivan appointed first Professor of Pathology. Chair of Physiology established.

1936

Denis Burkitt graduated. He would become famous for his work on Burkitt's Lymphoma.

1937

William Hayes, who would become one of the leading geneticists of the twentieth century, graduated.

1944

Department of Social Medicine established.

1950

Work begins on the Moyne Institute of Preventative Medicine. One wing would house the Department of Bacteriology and the other accommodate the Department of Social Medicine.

1959

W. J. E. Jessop was appointed Dean of the Medical School and he led a major reform of the school and its relationship with its teaching hospitals Ė Dr. Steevens' Hospital (1720), Mercerís Hospital (1734), Meath Hospital (1753), Sir Patrick Dunís Hospital (1810), Harcourt Street Hospital (1821), Baggot Street Hospital (1832) and the Adelaide Hospital (1839).

1960

Robert Steen of the National Children's Hospital, Harcourt Street, was appointed first Professor of Paediatrics. Peter Gatenby appointed first full-time Clinical Professor. He developed a clinical medicine professorial unit in the Meath Hospital.


Last updated 21 September 2016 by Tercentenary (Email).