Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Susan Kennedy
Research Fellow, Surgery

Research Expertise


  • Title
    • Overcoming treatment resistance to chemoradiation therapy in oesophageal adenocarcinoma using a novel patented small molecule radiosensitiser drug, CC8.
  • Summary
    • The incidence rate of oesophageal adenocarcinoma (OAC) has risen by 48% in Western countries in the last decade, in parallel with rising obesity rates. Standard treatment strategies for these patients include neoadjuvant chemoradiation prior to surgery to debulk tumour size. However, only ~30% of patients respond, leaving ~70% of patients treated with no therapeutic gain, a delay to surgery, thereby impacting overall survival. There is an unmet clinical need for therapeutic intervention in these patients who are resistant. Currently there are no radiosensitisers on the market. We have patented a small molecule drug (CC8) that increases radiosensitivity through its dual anti-angiogenic and anti-metabolic action in-vitro and in-vivo. Understanding the mechanism of action of our novel radiosensitiser will make it commercially attractive to industry. This project will specifically decipher the mechanism of action (MOA) of CC8 using an extensive mass spectrometry (MS) approach by performing global protein profiling of our novel isogenic OAC cell-line model and in human OAC ex-vivo tissue explants. We will determine key proteins and cellular pathways targeted by CC8. Correlating MS analysis of the tumour proteome with clinical parameters will deliver extensive preclinical data that will help position CC8 as a radiosensitiser.
  • Funding Agency
    • Science Foundation Ireland
  • Date From
    • 2018
  • Date To
    • 2019

Last updated 23 November 2016 Surgery - Web Administrator (Email).