Subject Librarian - Margaret Rooney
Office Location: Lower Level, Hamilton Library
Subject Librarian Recommends...
- Academic Search Complete
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: UK & Ireland
- Web of Science
- SciFinder Scholar
- Nature Journals
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses A&I
Free Irish Resources
- TARA (Trinity's Access to Research Archive): Genetics
- RIAN (Open Access Irish research publications)
- NCMG (National Centre for Medical Genetics)
- MMI (Molecular Medicine Ireland)
Free International Resources
- EMBL (European Molecular Biology Laboratory)
- NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information)
- NCBI/BLAST (Basic Local Alignment Search Tool)
- NCBI/Entrez: the Life Sciences search engine
- Learn. Genetics: Genetic Science Learning Centre
- Genetics Dictionary
- WHO | Glossaries of genetic terminology - World Health Organization
Glossaries of genetic terminology. The WHO glossary.
- Glossary | Learn Science at Scitable - Nature
Glossary for Scitable by Nature Education.
What is citation management software?
Citation management software allows a user to organise and retrieve information by interfacing with databases and websites. The citation manager then works with word-processing software to insert footnotes%20OR%20citations into a paper and create a properly formatted bibliography. Comparison of reference management software (Wikipedia).
- EndNote is a widely-used bibliographic reference software tool. Trinity College Dublin has a site licence for EndNote for College-owned computers, but a free web-based version is available to all. Help page for EndNote
- Zotero is a free, open source, web-based tool for managing citations, organising pdfs and creating bibliographies
- Mendeley allows you to easily organize your papers, read & annotate your PDFs, collaborate in private%20OR%20open groups, and securely access your research from everywhere
Online Genetics Education Resources
- American Medical Association - Family History Tools
Tools for gathering family history.
- Current Topics in Genome Analysis
A lecture series covering contemporary areas in genomics and bioinformatics.
- Diving into the Gene Pool
An online exhibition exploring genetics and the Human Genome Project from a variety of perspectives. Produced by the Exploratorium, San Francisco, Calif.
- The DNA Files
A series of 14 one-hour public radio documentaries and related information.
- DNA Interactive
DNA and genome-related teaching guides and lesson builders, personalized Web pages, My DNA, student activities, more.
- Foundations of Classical Genetics
Complete versions of classic genetics works written between 350 A.D. and 1932.
Developed by the National Library of Medicine in collaboration with the National Human Genome Research Institute, GeneEd explores topics such as cell biology, DNA, genes and chromosomes.
Information for health professionals about hundreds of genetic tests.
- Genetic Science Learning Center
From the Eccles Institute of Human Genetics at the University of Utah, a Web site created to help people understand how genetics affects their lives and society.
- Genetics and Disease Prevention Information
Resources on genetics, including journals, reports and fact sheets. Also inlcudes online mulitmedia presentations ranging from basic genetics to latest research.
- Genetics and Molecular Medicine (American Medical Association)
Links to current articles and other resources.
- Genetics Education Center
A comprehensive listing of genetics education resources, including networking sites, documentary films, lectures, booklets, activities, and programs. Compiled by the Genetics Education Center, University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Genetics Home Reference
Genetics Home Reference is the National Library of Medicine's website for consumer information about genetic conditions and the genes%20OR%20chromosomes related to those conditions.
- Genetics in Clinical Practice: A Team Approach
Virtual Genetics Clinic
- Genome Gateway
Comprehensive Web resource on genetic information. Hosted by Nature Publishing Company.
- Genome News Network (The Center for the Advancement of Genomics)
Original articles and links.
- The Genomic Resource Centre
From the World Health Organization, provides information and raises awareness on human genomics.
- The Human Genome
Comprehensive one-stop genomic information center. Hosted by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) of the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
- Human Genome Epidemiology Network (HuGENet)
Hosted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), an international collaboration for sharing population-based human genome epidemiologic information.
- Human Genome Project Education Resources
An extensive collection of publications, teaching aids, and additional internet resources. Hosted by the Human Genome Program of the U.S. Department of Energy.
- The Hunt for Missing Heritability: Challenges and Opportunities for Novel Locus Discovery in Non-European Populations
A growing number of investigators are looking beyond European cohorts to study common and rare variants in populations around the world, including African, Asian, and other ancestries in the hunt for novel susceptibility genes.
- Information for Genetics Professionals
Educational, clinical, and research resources.
Mendel's papers in English and German and related materials.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM)
Information about human genes and disease.
A free science library and personal learning tool brought to you by Nature Publishing Group, the world's leading publisher of science. Scitable currently concentrates on genetics.
- The Virtual Genetics Education Centre
Created by the Department of Genetics at the University of Leicester (UK), the VGEC contains evaluated genetics teaching resources for educators and teachers in schools and higher education, health professionals and the general public. Its resources include: simple experiments suitable for all ages tutorial material videos on useful techniques current and relevant links to other evaluated resources.
- Your Genes Your Health
A multimedia guide to genetics disorders.
- Your Genome
Produced by the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Your Genome provides an introduction to the main concepts of DNA, genes & genomes, focusing on basic questions such as "What is a genome?" and "What are genes?" There is also an introduction to the Human Genome Project and much more.
Research & General Interest