Staff Wi-Fi - How to connect your iOS device
The information below outlines how registered Trinity staff can connect their iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch) to the Staff Wi-Fi network. Should you make use of the service you are advised to read through our web page regarding good IT security practices for those using mobile devices. Those using the service will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions during the connection process outlined below.
- Supported devices & requirements
- Registration & connection steps
- Deregistering your device
- Getting help
The service is currently available to staff with iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch devices running iOS 4.3 to 10.x.
It is not currently possible to register devices running iOS 11 for the Staff Wi-Fi service. We advise that staff wishing to use the Staff Wi-Fi service not upgrade their device to iOS 11 at present until we have completed the evaluation and testing process and have confirmed that there are no issues. Please check back here for the latest information.
This service requires, for security, that you have a passcode lock set for your device. During registration you will be prompted to set a passcode lock if you do not already have one. The requirement for a passcode lock is to prevent unauthorised access to Trinity's IT systems and your data in the event of loss or theft of the device. It is your responsibility to remember this passcode as if you forget it you will have to do a restore from backup and so may lose data.
To register your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch device for the staff wireless network follow the instructions below.
- This service requires that you have a passcode lock set for your device. This can be done via Services - General - Passcode Lock on your device. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4113
for further information.
- Your device must be connected to 3G or a home Wi-Fi network - not an existing Trinity Wi-Fi network
- On your device, open the App Store, search for 'TCD' and install the 'TCD WiFi Registration' app
- Once installed, launch this app and choose Continue
- Confirm the duration of your device's registration, 12 months, and then follow the instructions to submit your device's Wi-Fi address to IT Services
- Within 10 minutes, you will receive an initial email to your Trinity College email address with further information. A second email will contain instructions on what to do next. Open this second email on your iOS device and follow the instructions to install the 'mobile profile' on your device in order to configure it with the correct settings for the Staff Wi-Fi network.
- When installing the mobile profile you will be prompted to enter your Trinity username. Do so and then choose Next near the top right. Enter your network login password and hit Next at the top right again. If prompted to 'Accept' the TCDwlan certificate then do so.
- You will be prompted to enter your device's passcode, if you have one, or to set a passcode lock for your device
- Now you can turn Wi-Fi on once more, if you had turned it off in step 1, and you should be able to connect to TCDwireless
Deregistering your device
To remove your device from the service and uninstall the mobile profile please follow our instructions outlining how to deregister your device.
Please note that the connection of staff mobile devices to the Trinity Wi-Fi network is considered to be a self-supported service and so you may find it useful to consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for this service. If you encounter technical difficulties please contact the IT Service Desk.