Offices & Labs--Network printing--Windows 8
To connect to a network printer you must know the 'printer name' of the printer you are connecting to. This can be obtained from a configuration sheet printout from the printer and is provided by IT Services after you have submitted the network request for the printer. Once you have determined the 'printer name' follow these steps:
- On the desktop, move cursor over to bottom left corner of the screen and right-click to display the Administrative Tools, then select Control Panel.
- In category view, under Hardware and Sound, select View devices and printers:
- Click Add a printer.
- Click The printer that I want isn’t listed.
- Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname radio button, then click Next.
- Type the full printer hostname assigned to the printer, as provided by IT Services, then click Next.
- After a few moments you should see a success pane where you can specify a name for the printer, e.g. Office Printer or Upstairs Printer. Type your printername in the box. Click Next.
- If prompted for which version of the driver do you want to use, select Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended) – this will work in most cases. Click Next.
- The printer will then be installed. Once the pane appears advising you the installation was successful, you can choose to print a test page and click Finish.
- You can choose to set the printer as the default printer if you wish.