General requirements for connecting to the data network in Trinity offices & labs
Below is a list of the general requirements for staff and postgraduates connecting to the wired data network in Trinity offices and labs, and to the staff Wi-Fi service. If you need details on connecting to the student Wi-Fi service or the wired network in student residences then please see the requirements for the TCDconnect service.
- Only holders of valid Trinity usernames can request connection to the teaching and research network
- All users are obliged to read and be familiar with the terms and conditions of connecting to the network
- Your computer must conform to the minimum software and hardware requirements listed below
- You will need a network card in order to connect to the network. Separate cards are required for 'wired' and for 'wireless' connection. Where required, for computers without a built-in wired network card, specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters are supported on the Trinity wired network.
- In order to use the wired network you must have access to a live network point and you will need a network cable
- Staff wishing to connect computers to the staff Wi-Fi network should note that a wired connection is required before obtaining a wireless connection - this is not a requirement for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets
- Users requiring connection to the Wi-Fi network should be aware that there are wireless network card requirements
- Staff or postgraduates wishing to connect a printer to the Trinity data network in offices and labs should refer to the web page on network printing
- Staff wishing to connect a server to the Trinity data network should refer to our documentation regarding server procurement and setup
Operating System Language
The preferred language of the operating system should be English/Irish.
Supported Operating SystemsClick the grey box to expand.
Supported PC Operating Systems
Supported Apple Mac Operating Systems
- macOS versions: Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), Yosemite (10.10), El Capitan (10.11), Sierra (10.12), High Sierra (10.13)
Please see our macOS support statement for or further details regarding supported versions of macOS..
Supported Mobile Devices Operating Systems
- Android OS 4.0 and later
- iOS 4.3 to iOS 11.x (with exception of 11.0.x).
As per the College Structured Cabling System policy and the College Wireless policy, it is not permitted to connect networking equipment such as routers, access points and switches to the Trinity data network.
Minimum desktop/laptop hardware specifications supported by IT Services for Windows and macOS X:
- PC running Windows 10 Pro, Windows 8/8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional
Minimum of 4GB RAM
Minimum Hard Disk size of 40GB
Minimum processor speed 2GHz
- Mac running macOS X 10.8 or later
Minimum of 2GB RAM
Minimum hard disk size of 50GB
Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better
Wired network adapter
In order to connect your computer to the Trinity wired network you will need a network card, also known as an ethernet adapter, in which to connect an ethernet cable. To verify that you have a network card, look at the rear or side of the computer and you should see a port for an ethernet cable. For those computers that do not ship with a wired network card please note there are some specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters that are supported on the Trinity data network.
Most wireless network devices with the Wi-Fi Logo should be able to connect to the Trinity wireless network.
Security protocol: Your Wi-Fi adapter must be able to use the WPA2-Enterprise protocol. There is a tool available on the Wi-Fi Alliance website which will allow you to determine if your Wi-Fi adapter meets this requirement. Support for the older WPA1 protocol has been discontinued in order to improve network security.
Staff wishing to connect computers to the staff Wi-Fi network should note that a wired connection is required before requesting a wireless connection. For those computers that do not ship with a wired network card please note there are some specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters that are supported on the Trinity network.
If you need further assistance with regards to wireless network card compatibility please contact the IT Service Desk.