Lecture Capture Service (Panopto)
The Panopto Lecture Capture Service allows you to record, edit, share and stream video, audio, Powerpoint and screen capture content for audiences such as your staff colleagues, your students, and other third parties or the public. It manages your recordings for you using a cloud based content management storage system. You can also record from within Blackboard (mymodule.tcd.ie) and post directly to your module.
At present, this service is available in all Senior Lecturer Area PCs and Macs, on all Macs in St. James's lecture theatres, in the TBSI Tercentenary and Quek Theatres, and Trinity Theatre in Tallaght Hospital. Trinity staff can also install the Panopto software on their own device (PC, Mac, iOS, and Android) to make screen-capture recordings, or video recordings. If you are a member of staff who wishes to install Panopto on your device, please see instructions below in the Related Pages section of this page.
Who can use this service
- Trinity staff who are already setup as instructors on modules in Blackboard and who wish to make a recording available for their module(s).
- Trinity staff who will not be using Blackboard but who wish to record, edit and share a screen-capture or video recording.
- Where recordings are required for non-Trinity events the event will need to have a sponsor from Trinity who takes responsibility to record and distribute the recording.
- If recording using the available PC or Mac in a Senior Lecturer theatre (IT Services managed theatres only) then all required hardware and software is already installed - just follow the recording steps linked to below.
- If recording using your own laptop or desktop then you will need to first install the Panopto software. You will also need a mic (often built-in on laptops) and you will need a webcam if you wish to record video other than standard screen-capture.
Please follow the relevant link(s) below for instructions on the various ways you can record, edit and share videos using Panopto.
Installation and Setup
- How to setup Panopto for your Module in Blackboard Learn
- How to install the Panopto software on your own device
Recording, Editing and Sharing
- How to record a lecture in a Senior Lecturer Pool Room using Panopto
- How to record a screen capture or video recording using Panopto on your own device
- How to edit videos recorded in Panopto
- How to share videos recorded in Panopto
Help and Advice
Need further help?
Search the Knowledge Base for how-to’s and answers to commonly asked questions
Please be aware of the IT Service Desk opening hours