Student email--MyZone FAQ
Listed below are the answers to some frequently asked questions. If you need further assistance please refer to our information on help and support for MyZone. You may also wish to review the latest up-to-date particulars in Google's terms of service.
Click on the questions below to expand for answer.
Q. I am trying to 'Sign in' to MyZone for the first time but cannot
A. New students must set a password before being able to 'Sign in' for the first time.
Q. I have signed in to MyZone but cannot see how to access my Email, Calendar and Drive
A. After you sign-in to MyZone you will be able to access 'Mail', 'Calendar' and 'Drive' via the buttons on the Apps menu which can be found to the left of your email address towards the top right of the screen.
Q. I am having difficulty setting the password for MyZone
A. When setting the MyZone password you are given an option of setting it yourself or for generating a password automatically. You may find that if you attempt to set the password yourself that the password you specify is not accepted, usually because you have not met one of the password criteria. Your MyZone password must follow these rules:
- must be at least 8 characters long
- must have a mix of upper and lowercase characters
- must include at least one numeric character OR a special character such as ! @ $ % * _ - + = ~
- must not include £ € : ? | space
- must not include part of your first name, last name or username
Q. How can I change the MyZone password, for example if I have forgotten it?
A. The easiest way to set your MyZone password is via the 'Set Password' link at mypassword.tcd.ie. You will be asked for your Trinity username and initial/current password after clicking on the 'Set Password' link.
Q. Do I keep my MyZone account after I finish my time in Trinity?
A. Your MyZone account is for life. However, Trinity email for life is a privilege granted by the College and not an automatic right. The College, as the owner of the trademark Trinity College Dublin, retains, at its sole discretion, the right to withdraw email for life privileges.
Q. Can club and society email accounts switch to MyZone?
A. Trinity College sports clubs are entitled to a MyZone email account. Please contact DUCAC for further information.
Q. I want to forward my MyZone email to another email account
A. You can set email forwarding within the MyZone email settings. Please refer to Google's help page on how to forward your email.
Q. I think some emails are not being delivered to my MyZone email account
A. Check the contents of the 'Spam' folder to ensure that legitimate emails have not been delivered there by mistake. If this is the case, and you wish to prevent emails from this user being mistakenly identified as Spam, then check the box beside the email in question and click the 'Not Spam' button.
Q. I want to send a large file as an attachment but cannot
There is a limit in terms of the size of attachment you can send using the MyZone service. If you wish to send a larger file you may consider using the HEAnet FileSender service.
Q. Can I access MyZone email through an email client like Outlook or on a mobile device?
A. Instructions on configuring an email client such as Outlook to receive MyZone email are available from Google's help pages. It is strongly recommended that you use the IMAP option. You will have to enable IMAP within your MyZone account and you may need to enable 'Allow less secure apps'. Where appropriate you must enter your account details as 'firstname.lastname@example.org' and not 'email@example.com'. If configuring an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch you would access the Settings app, choose 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars', choose 'Gmail' and enter the details as below. Beyond the advice given here, no support for this functionality is available from IT Services.
Q. I am concerned that my MyZone account may be being accessed by someone else, what should I do?
A. In this situation it is vital that you change your password. You can also follow up and check when and where your account was last accessed from. Follow these steps:
- Visit mypassword.tcd.ie and click the Set Password link. Enter your username and current password. You can then enter and verify your new password. This will change both your network login password and MyZone password.
- Follow the steps on the Gmail support pages which explain how to check when your account was accessed and the approximate geographical location from where it was accessed. This information may help you determine if your account has been accessed by someone other than you.
Q. Getting Help - Alumni
A. Support for the MyZone service for Trinity alumni is available from the Trinity Alumni Relations Office and not from IT Services. You may contact the Trinity Alumni Relations Office at +353 (0)1 896 2088.
If you need further assistance please refer to our information on help and support for MyZone.
Q. I am leaving or have left College - can I delete my MyZone account?
A. Yes, once you have left Trinity you can request the deletion of your MyZone account by emailing the IT Service Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org). It is not possible to delete your MyZone account while you are still a current, registered student. All current, registered students must retain their Trinity email account as it an official means of College communication with students.
Q. What services are currently enabled for the MyZone service?
A. The services listed below are currently enabled for the MyZone service:
- Google Calendar
- Google Docs/Drive
- Google Sites
- Google Hangouts
- Google News
- Google Maps
- Google Now
- Google Translate
- Google Talk
- Google Books
- Google Chrome Sync
- Google Groups
- Google Latitude
- User Managed Storage
- Google Wallet
- Google AdSense
- Picasa/Google Photos
- Google AdWords
- My Maps
- Google Analytics
- Gmail Labs*
- Inbox by Gmail
* Important: Gmail Labs are experimental, pre-release features that you can enable to add new functionality to your Inbox. Go to the Labs tab in Gmail settings to turn on the Labs you want to use. Because Gmail Labs are experimental and are not officially "released," they may change, break, or disappear at any time. See About Google Labs to learn more.
Q. I cannot signin to my personal Gmail account or other Google services whilst signed into MyZone
A. In order to be logged into both your MyZone account and a separate personal Google account you need to enable 'Multiple sign-in', as follows:
- Log into MyZone and click on your email address at the top right corner of the screen, and choose Account settings
- Beside the option for Multiple sign-in choose Edit
- Select 'on' and check the four boxes beneath. Click Save.
- From now on when you click your email address at the top right corner you will have an option to 'Switch account'. You can then sign into another account and access both MyZone and this other account at the same time. See the Google help pages for more information on using multiple accounts.
Q. I am using Internet Explorer 9 or an earlier version of Internet Explorer and am having problems using MyZone
A. Google state that they only provide support for the two most recent versions of Internet Explorer. If you are having difficulties when using an earlier version of Internet Explorer then the advise is to use an up-to-date version of another web browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Q. What do I need to do before joining Google+ on MyZone?
A. Check that your computer meets the requirements for Google+. You then need to join and create your Google+ Profile for your @tcd.ie address. Make sure to join using the name you're commonly known by. Learn more about creating your profile and then join at plus.google.com.
Remember that as you're signing up for Google+ with your @tcd.ie email address, the College’s Policies, in particular the Social Networking and Social Media Policy, apply to Google+ usage on the MyZone service..