IT Services Alerts - Issues sending email through Google Gmail servers, December 16th
First Posted: Friday, 16th December 2011, 4.50pm
Some College users have reported errors in sending email via the Google Gmail servers. For example, this would affect people connected to the teaching and research network who are using Outlook to interact with a Gmail account, and trying to send email using their SMTP server.
The temporary resolution is to use the College's SMTP server, smtp.tcd.ie, to send email. As an example the typical settings for Outlook are outlined below. Note that the IS Services Helpdesk cannot provide support for this functionality in accessing a non-TCD email account.
To use the TCD SMTP server to send email:
- Launch Outlook
- Choose Tools - Account settings or File - Account settings - Account settings
- Click on the name of the relevant email account and click Change
- Change the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) to smtp.tcd.ie
- Choose More Settings
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab and untick My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Click the Advanced tab and change “Use the following type of encrypted connection” to none