IT Services Alerts - Upgrade of Trinity’s telephone exchange service
We are carrying out an upgrade of Trinity's telephone exchange service. This upgrade work carried out as part of the Unified Communications -Phase 1 project, will ensure continuity of the telephone service for the future and allow the telephone exchange to be moved to facilitate the Oisín House Project.
Much of the preparatory upgrade work has been conducted without any disruption to service but over the coming weeks, each telephone extension is likely to experience a brief 2-5 minute unavailability as it is migrated to the upgraded service. If you have VoiceMail it will provide callers with the ability to leave you a message during these short interruptions. The vast majority of the existing telephone handsets will continue to operate as normal after the upgrade. (We have already individually contacted all those who will be affected by this change.)
- Telephone extensions at the Trinity Centres in Tallaght & St James's Hospitals, D'Olier Street, Trinity Technology Enterprise Centre and College Green will be transferred to the new upgraded service from Tuesday, 28th February onwards.
- Telephone extensions on the campus will be transferred to the new upgraded service from Tuesday, March 7th onwards.
A detailed schedule is now published on the Telephone Service web pages and this will provide the information about when an extension is scheduled to be upgraded.
The work is due to be completed by the end of April 2017 and during the upgrade works, it will be necessary to temporarily suspend the installation of any new telephone lines or to make any changes to existing telephone handsets or extension numbers. As the upgrade progresses updated information will be made available on the IT Services Website.
The upgrade of the telephone exchange service will:
- Provide Trinity with a fully supported modern telephone system;
- Allow Trinity to introduce affordable IP desk phones where needed;
- Provide a platform upon which Unified Communications can be delivered in the future to the College community
- Allow the current telephone exchange space to be repurposed as part of the Oisín House development project.