Student Account Information
Here you will find answers to the most common questions on student accounts and passwords.
If your query is not answered here, please contact the IT Service Desk for more information.
Why should I change my password?
Passwords are often broken, stolen or cracked without the knowledge of the victim. For instance, this can happen as a result of a phishing email or through malware.
Very often stolen passwords are not used immediately. If you change your password regularly, even if your password is somehow stolen, the thief does not have the opportunity to use it.
How can I change my network login password?
1: Using Trinity MyPassword
MyPassword is a web-based service that Trinity students can use, it will allow you to change your MyZone password in tandem with your network login password.
You can use it from anywhere with internet access. It allows you to change your Trinity password, or to recover a password if you have forgotten it. To use the recovery service you must already be registered with the service.Trinity MyPassword
2: Using a computer connected to college.tcd.ie domain
It is very easy for you to change your network login password only, using a Windows computer connected to the college.tcd.ie domain.
Here are the steps to change your password using a computer connected to college.tcd.ie domain:
- On the keyboard, press Ctrl+Alt+Del.
- Click Change a password.
- Type the old password, then the new password and confirm it.
3: Using Password Manager
Password Manager is an alternative web-based service that Trinity students can use, however it will only allow you to change your network login password, but not your MyZone password.
- Browse to the Password Manager login page at https://password.tcd.ie.
- Enter your username (do not include @tcd.ie) and under Select location: select COLLEGE (all student Trinity accounts are in the COLLEGE domain). Click OK.
- Click Manage My Passwords
- Type your current network login password
- Type and confirm your new network login password. Click Finish to proceed.
How can I set a secure password?
- be at least 8 characters long
- have a mix of upper and lowercase characters
- include at least one numeric character OR a special character such as ! @ $ % * _ - + = ~
- not include £ € : ? | space
- not include part of your first name, last name or username
- not be the same as any of your previous 24 passwords
How can I change my MyZone password?
1: Using MyPassword to change your MyZone & Network login passwords at the same time.
The easiest way to set your MyZone password is via the 'Set Password' link. You will be asked for your Trinity username and initial/current password after clicking on the 'Set Password' link.Trinity MyPassword
2: Change only your MyZone password
- Sign in at myaccount.google.com with your current MyZone password
- Under 'Signing in' click the word Password
- Enter your current MyZone password when prompted
- Enter your new MyZone password, enter it a second time, and choose Change Password
If you do not know your current MyZone password
If you do not know your current MyZone password and wish to change it then please contact the IT Service Desk.
Can I set all my Trinity passwords to be the same?
Will my network login password expire?
- New students: Following successful online registration, students receive an Intray message at my.tcd.ie containing their Trinity username and initial network login password. All students are required to change their initial network login password within 14 days of first using it, otherwise the initial password expires. Once the student has set their own password there is no further password expiry policy implemented.
- All other students: There is no set time limit on your network login password, but it is recommended that you change your password regularly to ensure security of your account.
Will my MyZone password expire?
I have forgotten my password, what can I do?
If you have forgotten your network login password, there are two things you can do.
- You can reset your password using Password Recovery Service, you must have signed up for the service prior to using it to restore a forgotten password.
- You can come in person to the IT Service Desk on the ground floor of Áras an Phiarsaigh and we will reset your account here. Remember to bring your Trinity ID card.
How do I get access to my username and initial network password?
Information on obtaining your network username and password can be found on the obtain your password page.Click on the boxes below to expand for more information:
Can I change my Trinity username?
Change in status (Undergraduate to Postgraduate / Student to Staff)
If you are changing status from:
- Undergraduate to Postgraduate - if you are progressing directly from undergraduate to postgraduate status then you will keep the same username and your current password.
- Student to Staff - you will not be able to retain your student username when you move to staff status. You will receive a new staff number and also a new Trinity username and email address. As a Trinity staff member you are obliged to use this new username and email address. You may wish to set email forwarding from the old email address to the new one, or vice-versa.
Will I be informed when my account will expire?
As you approach the completion of your time as a registered Trinity student you will be notified by email that your Trinity username, and associated computer account, will expire. You will be emailed with at least 2-week's notice prior to the date of expiry and your computer account will expire automatically after that date.
Good to know:
- Your MyZone email account is for life and will not expire and so there is no need to backup email or data files held in your MyZone account.
- Similarly most students will retain access to records at my.tcd.ie after leaving Trinity.
What do I do if I believe my account should not be expired?
Should your computer account have already expired then it cannot be reactivated until you have been re-registered for Trinity.
What will happen to my data when my account is expired?
What should I do to save any files I have on the network or in Personal Filestorage?
Can I request that my data files be retrieved after my account expires?
Will my MyZone email account expire?
Your Trinity MyZone email account, provided by Google, is yours for life and so it is not affected by the expiry of your Trinity computer accounts.
After your computer account expires you should contact the TCD Alumni Relations Office at +353 (0)1 896 2088 if you have problems accessing your MyZone account. Should you need assistance in using MyZone, visit the extensive Help pages by clicking on the links on the top of the MyZone login page.
Will I still have access to information at my.tcd.ie?
My device connects to the Trinity network, how do I remove the settings?
I am going off-books and will not be sitting exams - what are my computer account entitlements?
Why is my account locked out?
In some cases your computer account can become 'locked out'. There are several reasons why this can happen:
- You enter your password incorrectly 15 times
- An application which stores your Trinity network login password tries to login multiple times unsuccessfully
- Someone tries to access your account without your knowledge
For these reasons, and to help with IT security, your account may become locked..Click on the questions below to expand for answer.
How do IT Services Administer lockouts?
To protect against potential hacking in to an account, if there are 15 consecutive unsuccessful attempts to login to the network within any 30-minute period, the account is automatically locked for the period of 4 hours
How do I unlock my account?
If you need to unlock your account here are the options available to you:
- You can unlock your account by using Password Manager but only if you have already registered for this service
- You can come in person to the IT Service Desk on the ground floor of Áras an Phiarsaigh and we will unlock your account here. Remember to bring your valid student card
How do I register with Password Manager?
All relevant information is available on the Password Manager page.
What if my account is repeatedly locked out?
We will need to investigate the problem in more detail. If your account is repeatedly locked out, please contact the IT Service Desk and be prepared to provide the following information:
- The exact lockout times
- List devices you are using on the Trinity network
- List applications that are using your Trinity network login password
- Try to recall if you have revealed your password to anybody either in person or via web
Why is my account disabled?
Accounts are disabled for various reasons. If your account has been disabled please contact the IT Service Desk.
What is the difference between Password Manager and MyPassword.tcd.ie
- Password Manager (if you register with it) will allow you to unlock your account.
- MyPassword.tcd.ie (if you register with it) will allow you to recover your password if you have forgotten it, it will also allow you to change your MyZone and network login passwords at the same time
Password Manager questions
See our Password Manager FAQ