English language proficiency entry requirements
English is the language of instruction at Trinity College so it is essential that students whose first language is not English can display a suitable level of competence. Applicants for any undergraduate or postgraduate course of study, including Visiting Students, whose first language is not English, should include an original or *certified true copy of one of the following:
- Paper based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5
- Computer based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay
- Internet based 90 with a written score of 21
- Cambridge Proficiency Grade C
- Cambridge Advanced Grade A
- IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 (with no section score below 59)
Please note that test scores are only valid for 2 years.
Students who do not satisfy the University's English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies at Trinity College. While the university does not offer an English language preparatory course at present, you will find the Department of Education and Science official listing of recognised language schools.
* A Certified true copy is a photocopy of an original document that has been signed and stamped by a school principal or other official.
International Foundation Year
Students who do not meet the minimum English language requirement can apply for the International Foundation Year before progressing on to selected courses - click here for more information - International Foundation Year
Erasmus students should ensure that the letter of recommendation from their home university includes confirmation of their ability to write clear and accurate English.
Pre University English Language Programmes
The University has an arrangement with two high quality English language schools in Dublin to provide pre course English language instruction for those students who do not satisfy the University's English language entry requirements. Both schools provide a range of high quality English language programmes for international students and specialise in preparing students for further study at university level.
For further details on pre university English language programmes students should contact:
Centre of English Studies