Employment Permit Types

All non-EU/EEA employees must hold an appropriate Employment Permit in order to take up their employment with Trinity College Dublin.

Employment Permits (with exception of the Hosting Agreement) are issued by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation (DJEI).

  • General Employment Permits. As of the 1st October 2014 the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation introduced the Employment Permits (Amendment) Bill 2014. General Employment Permits are the primary vehicle used by the State to attract 3rd country nationals for occupations which are experiencing a labour or skills shortage. A full comprehensive list of the new regulations and employment permit information can be found here

All occupations with a minimum annual remuneration of over €60,000, other than those on the Ineligible Categories of Employment for Employment Permits or which are contrary to the public interest. A non-EEA national who does not have a degree qualification or higher, must have the necessary level of experience. 

A job offer of at least 2 years must be secured by the prospective employee in respect of the Highly Skilled Eligible Occupations List from the prospective employer.

There is no need for a Labour Market Needs Test and allows for spouse and children to relocate immediately.

A Critical Skills Permit is not renewable and after 2 years under such permit, the staff member must apply for long-term residency with the Dept. of Justice to maintain their eligibility to live and work in Ireland.

This Permit is free of charge to apply and can be applied for by either prospective employee or employer.

Please note: the duration of the Spousal/Dependant Employment Permit will be linked to the duration of the main Employment Permit holder, even if the job offer is of a longer duration.

  • Hosting Agreements: Issued by the IUA (Irish Universities Association) on behalf of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation in conjunction with the College and are only applicable for Research Staff (Assistants and/or Fellows).

Employment Permit Renewals

HR will endeavour to contact all employees who need their Work Permits renewed up to 12 weeks in advance of its expiry date. If you haven’t heard from us, we encourage you to make contact as soon as possible.


General Employment Permit and Critical Skills Permit

New application (6 months) €500
New Application (6 months – 2 years) €1,000
Renewal from € 750 to €1,500 (depending on length of renewal)

Spousal/Dependant Employment Permit



If an employee is from a visa-required country, this is still a requirement even if they do not need a work permit or green card. They should obtain a visa before travelling to Ireland. The recruitment team cannot assist in the obtaining of visas – However, we have produced a document which details the guidelines and requirements of the visa process (pdf 231 kb).

New Applications

New Employment Permits are sent directly to the employer, unless otherwise requested, and Trinity College then courier the permit to the employee.  It is crucial that the employee specify an address that is secure for receiving their permit.  The College also receives a certified copy of the Permit and this cannot be used for travelling purposes.

Further Information

If you have any further queries please contact work.permits@tcd.ie or the HR Services Centre at 01 896 3333.