Work Experiences in College
Think about your work experiences while you are studying in Trinity; your exams, your assignments, your classes. Before you started, it was difficult to know how to manage them but once you got going and had some support was it a bit easier? Work experiences will be similar so you must make preparations BEFORE you start!!
You may need to consider some things about work such as:
- Do I need to talk to my supervisor/manager/colleagues about my disability?
- Do I need to ask for ‘reasonable accommodations’ so that I can reach my full potential?
- Do I need to worry about being ‘judged’ because of my reasonable accommodations?
Rather than shy away from this area of experience it is important to tackle these challenges. You will be more ready for the workplace after university if you do, so don't put it off!
For more advice and suggested activities for how to prepare for the different stages of a new work experience or placement, including organising a pre-placement planning meeting with the Disability Service, please give us a call on (01) 8963111 or email email@example.com and take a look at:
- The Careers Advisory Service Website
- Trinity College Guide for Students with Disabilities on Placement
- Transition to Employment Guide
- The Disability Service Reasonable Accommodations page of this website
- The Reasonable Accommodations on Placement page on this website
If you're still deciding what you would like to do, please see the ‘Possible Supports’ section of this website.