Touch Typing Technologies
Do you type with two fingers? Do you still need to look at your keyboard before every keystroke?
Touch typing is a method based on muscle memory instead of sight. This method allows you to acheive much higher speed of data entry, especially if you need to transcribe text from other visual material.Typing with the touch typing method significantly improves your computer productivity; it increases data entry speed and, where possible, reduces fatigue and injury to the eyes.
Free to use Typing Software
Typing.com is a free online typing tutor & keyboarding tutorial for typists of all skill levels. Typing.com includes entertaining typing games, typing tests, and free official typing certification.
- Typing.com runs from your web browser, so you will always have the latest features accessible from anywhere.
- Complete Course - Novice to Professional
- Plenty of versatile lessons, each meant to focus on specific problem areas such as speed, accuracy, key-rows, and trouble-keys, work your typing strengths and weaknesses.
- The video below gives an overview of typing.com (skip to 46sec)
To start using the resources just browse to www.typing.com
Letter Bubbles is an interactive game that also helps you improve your typing skills. This tool is free and will help you keep your focus on the screen and off the keyboard.
Academic Support help
For further help gaining strategies to take effective notes please view our academic support page, which gives you information on:
- How to use your lecture notes effectively
- Strategies for taking notes in a lecture
- Introduction to the Cornell method of note-taking