Work & Placement“OT was extremely helpful it enabled me to complete my placement.”
Within Trinity, there is now an increased focus upon students developing work-related skills during their courses. Over the past number of years, the Disability Service and Careers Advisory Service have developed a series of award winning approaches to supporting students to engage in work experiences, either within their courses or outside them. OTs work with students in looking for and engaging in part-time work, summer employment, internships, and then eventually employment post-graduation. In collaboration with the Careers Advisory Service, we run an annual Careers Bootcamp, to help students to kick-start their transition to employment. For more information please see the ‘Planning your Career’ section of the website.
As part of the overall professional placement planning process within the Disability Service, OTs are available to work with students in preparing for, and engaging in placements throughout their courses. The strategies developed through meeting with an OT, may be included in the student’s placement planning LENS or discussed within a placement planning meeting, if the student wishes this to take place.
This may include:
- Use of the Pebblepad ePortfolio System to log work experiences
- Support in your engagement with the DS Ambassador Programme
- Connection with the Careers Advisory Service
- Developing your disclosure story for employers
- Managing part-time work, or summer jobs
- Individual meetings during your placement or Internships
- Developing appropriate reasonable accommodations as part of the professional placement planning process
- Preparation for placement and establishing competencies required
- Applying for post-graduate courses or jobs