Needs Assessment Process
After the student has registered online with the Disability Service, they have a needs assessment. All students with general disability supports in a particular Course/School will have their exam support needs summarised on a group excel sheet and sent to the School sharepoint folder. Only students with additional disability support needs will have individual Learning Education Needs Summary (LENS) report will then be produced
What is a Needs Assessment?
Individual needs assessments determine the level of support that students require. The following areas are addressed:
- Nature of disability or condition, to include: impact on education, severity, hospital admissions etc.;
- Treatment: any medication they are taking, outpatients' appointments, physiotherapy;
- Previous support: what arrangements were made at secondary school, if any;
- Current difficulties: what difficulties does the student anticipate they may have with their course;
- Access to equipment and IT facilities;
- Appropriate academic and disability support. These might include, for example, accessible class venues, in-course support, examination support arrangements, and extended library loans.
Supports are divided into 'General Disability Supports' and 'Additional Disability Supports'. The student decides on the level of support that they need. For more information on the types of supports available, please click on the links below.