Dementia (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip.)
1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
This M.Sc. in Dementia has been developed, in partnership with National key stakeholders, to meet the demands and challenges within the health care system and specifically within dementia care. The programme is firmly grounded in a body of knowledge and clinical expertise that aims to promote excellence in the area of dementia care practice. It is also designed to provide academically robust education for the students and the various modules offered develop and complement subjects undertaken at degree or 'equivalent' level.
The programme offers an M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip. (exit only) with an optional practice component. Students must undertake six modules for the award of P.Grad.Dip. and seven modules and a dissertation (around 20,000 words) for the award of M.Sc.
Students will normally undertake the practice component in their own clinical area.
The modules are:
- Theory and Practice of Enquiry Methods for Healthcare
- Ethics and Law in Health Care, or
- Clinical Practice Module
- Ways of Understanding Dementia and Dementia Care
- Critical issues in Assessment and Care Planning
- Enhancing the experience of living with Dementia
- Fundamentals of Palliative and End of Life Care
Students are required to attend the university for one week in September, approximately 15 days in year 1 and approximately 10 days in year 2. Full time students are required to attend for two days per week throughout the academic year.
Course Options1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
Closing Date30th June 2017
- Current registration on the appropriate division of NMBI live register
- Minimum of one year's professional experience in supporting persons with dementia within the past two years
- For the duration of the course all applicants are required to be working in an area where dementia care is delivered.
- Normally hold an honours degree in a relevant discipline, e.g. social, health or pastoral care. Candidates with relevant, and significant, experience as professional practitioners in the field of dementia care may be considered with a lower class degree or equivalent
- Otherwise satisfy the selection panel that they will have the ability to complete and benefit from the course
To apply, click on the relevant Apply Link below