Dr Md Saniul Alam
Dept. of Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering
Assessment, Analysis and Development of Programmes for Improvement of Irish GHG Emissions Inventories and Projections
Keywords: GHGs; Air Pollution; National Emission Inventory; Road Transport; Projection.
The Irish Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) required expertise to improve and conduct its regular activities of the estimation and reporting of GHG emissions and air pollutants that were released in the Irish atmosphere. In that context, the objectives of this research project were set below:
- To conduct - a systematic review of international best practice in emission inventory planning, management and projection to identify scope for improvement in the existing tier/grade methodologies - recalculation, key category analysis, and uncertainty analysis.
- To develop programmes for improvement of GHG emission inventories and projection.
- To establish an institutional framework, and to establish and implement a QA\QC plan within the national GHG emission inventory and projection.
- To participate in the improvement of NIR and GHG emissions projection reports.
- To assess the impact of improvements in GHG emissions inventory and projection on mitigation policies, and other policy impact on inventory preparation and projection.
- To disseminate the results of the research to promote the methodological improvement and its continued verification and improvement.
Contribution on the development of national reports (Up to June, 2016):
- National Emissions Inventory Report, 2015 & 2016
- Informative Inventory Report, 2015 & 2016
- Alam, M.S., Duffy P, Hyde, B, McNabola A (2016). Scenario analysis of CO2 emissions in the period 2015-2035 from passenger vehicles in Ireland, 21st International Transport & Air Pollution Conference, Lyon, France, 2016.
- Alam, M.S., Duffy, P. Hyde, B, McNabola A (2015). Estimation and back extrapolation of CO2 emissions from the road transport sector: Emissions in Ireland, 1990 to 2013, 23rd International Conference on Modelling, Monitoring and Management of Air Pollution, Valencia, Spain; 06/2015.
- Alam, M.S., Duffy, P. Hyde, B, McNabola A (2015). Common Air Pollutant Projections from the Irish Road Transport Sector under the NECD and CLRTAP: Apreliminary Analysis for 2035, Environ 2015, Sligo, Ireland.; 04/2015