Dr Edward McParland

Mary HenryDr McParland joined Trinity College in 1973 as a Lecturer in the Department of the History of Art and was elected as a Fellow of Trinity College in 1984.

He was educated in Belvedere College and undertook an M.Sc in pure mathematics at UCD. Dr McParland entered Christ's College Cambridge in 1965, where he read for the Fine Arts tripos and was elected to Fellowship of Jesus College Cambridge in 1971. He completed his PhD in 1975.

Academically, his work has been mainly in the history of Irish architecture of the 18th and 19th centuries. His publications reflect this; in a variety of British and Irish journals and in his books. With Zwemmers, in 1985, he published a biography of James Gandon and, with Yale University Press in 2001, a history of public architecture in Ireland between 1680 and 1760. His present research extends beyond Ireland to consider a number of problems in Western architectural classicism.

Dr McParland's academic activities have always been combined with an interest in archives and architectural conservation. With Nicholas K. Robinson he founded the Irish Architectural Archive in 1976. His work in architectural conservation has led him over the years to be a co-founder of the Irish Landmark Trust and a member of the committees of management of the Alfred Beit Foundation and of the Irish Georgian Foundation.

He is an honorary fellow of the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland and an honorary member of the Royal Society of Ulster Architects. Dr McParland is also a vice-president of the Ulster Architectural Heritage Society and a member of the Royal Irish Academy. He retired as a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (London) in 2010.

Dr McParland was elected Pro-Chancellor of the University in 2013.