Fees and Funding
Information on fees can be found on the Treasurer’s Office website: http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/fees_coursefees.php
Research Awards and Funding
Postgraduate Ussher Awards are available to new entrants on the Research Degree Programme. They are awarded competitively on academic merit. The Award fully covers EU and non-EU fees and provides an annual maintenance grant for three years, conditional on successful completion of each year. Further information is available at:https://www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies/prospectivestudents/awards/ussherfellowships/index.php
Postgraduate Studentships are available to new entrants as well as continuing students on the full-time PhD register. They are awarded competitively on academic merit alone. The Studentship fully covers EU and non-EU fees and provides an annual maintenance grant for three years, conditional on successful completion of each year. Further information is available at:
You must make your application for the Ussher Award and the Postgraduate Studentship in conjunction with your PhD application. Application should be made only via our online application system at http://www.tcd.ie/business/research-degree-programme/application/.
Additional Sources of Funding (Irish Students)
- Student Grant Scheme (http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html) pays fees plus a small stipend, it is means tested. If straight from undergraduate to postgraduate study, it may be based on your parent’s income. Contact your local authority.
- Mature Student Grant Scheme – if you are over 23 years of age and live independently of your parent’s home, you may qualify for a mature student grant. Contact your local authority for more information.
- If you are self-funding, you can apply to the Revenue Commissioners for tax relief on your tuition fees (www.revenue.ie).
- Irish Research Council (http://www.research.ie/) – no teaching allowed in first year and maximum of three hours per week thereafter. Applications usually due in January. Trinity College has an internal deadline, application has to be cleared internally first.
- External funding links http://www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies/prospectivestudents/awards/externalfunding/index.php
- Universities Ireland (http://www.universitiesireland.ie/).
Additional Sources of Funding (US and Canadian Students)
- You may be eligible for a US Federal Loan from the Department of Education or you can take out a private education loan from a bank in the US. To obtain information about Federal Loans please see http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- Canadian students can apply for a loan from the Canadian Student Loan Program. For further information, you can visit www.canlearn.ca or take out a private loan from the Canadian Higher Education Loan Program. Application forms are available from www.internationalstudentloan.com
Additional Sources of Funding (All Students)
- Funding may also be available through research grants to supervisors from the Higher Education Authority’s Programme for Research in Third Level Institutions (HEA-PRTLI).
- Likewise, funding may also be available through research programmes funded by the European Commission.