Seanad Éireann Election April 2016
2016 Election Results
Please see below for an outline of the results of the 2016 DU Seanad election
The three senators nominated in the 2016 election were:
Ivana Bacik: She is a qualified Barrister, former TCD Students’ Union President and a Senior Lecturer and Fellow of Trinity College Dublin (elected in 2005). Ivana has been a senator for the University of Dublin since 2007.
David Norris: Father of the House, former TCD lecturer and Leader of the Independent University Group in Seanad Éireann. David was first nominated as a member of the Seanad in 1987.
Lynn Ruane: Currently serving as the President of Trinity College Dublin’s Students’ Union. Lynn is a first time candidate and the only new Senator to be returned in this year’s vote.
The Election in Numbers
The total number of those registered to vote in this election and ballots sent out by the Academic Registry was 57,732
- Total of undelivered ballots received over the course of the election: 13004
- Total of returned votes received by close of business on 25th of April: 15467*
- Total of ballots reissued to voters on request: 574
- Final tally of valid votes, excluding spoilt and votes deemed invalid: 16,064
- 29 count staff + DU Seanad Support and AR staff
*Votes were also received the morning of the close of polls 26th April, these were not counted separately from the general count.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries.
More information on the candidates please visit the 2016 Seanad webpage here.