For each module there is a brief module description, module outline, recommended texts and assessment requirements. For some modules, the relevant lecturers have developed more extensive teaching materials and there is a link to this material where it is available. Please note that PO4600 is compulsory for students taking modules in Political Science alone in SS year, and is not open to other students (PO3600 is a prerequisite). Students taking Political Science alone in SS year must also take PO4690 (see Calendar for prerequisites). The department's Undergraduate Handbook 2017-18 (PDF, 330KB) provides an overview of teaching. Not all modules are available every year; see main list of modules for details.
Students are required to complete an independent research project, or dissertation, in either their Junior Sophister or Senior Sophister years. Modules identified as ‘IRP’, across the two years, qualify as meeting this requirement. Students are only required to choose one such module, whether from the Junior Sophister or Senior Sophister years and it may be chosen from any discipline in your programme.
- PO4600 - Research Seminar (IRP)
- PO4690 - Issues in Contemporary Politics (IRP)
- PO4691 - Issues in Contemporary Politics (IRP)
- PO4700 - Contemporary International Relations
- PO4710 - African Politics
- PO4740 - Topics in Political Science
- PO4750 - Chinese Politics (IRP)
- PO4760 - The Politics of Policy-Making (IRP)
- PO4770 - Political Psychology
- PO4780 - Autocracy and Human Rights (IRP)
- PO4790 - Women and Politics (IRP)