Thin film deposition techniques, laboratory X-ray techniques, scanning probe microscopy, magnetic analysis, magneto-transport measurements, UV lithography and both dry and wet etching techniques.
Scientific outreach, hobby electronics, sailing, electric guitar (death metal), scifi movies and computer games .
After completing his undergraduate degree in Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials in TCD, having done his final year project in IMEC, Belgium (where he helped develop a novel low-k etch plasma chemistry) he joined Prof. Coey's group in July of 2013. Stephen specialises in pulsed laser deposition of novel thin film oxide heterostructures submitted his PhD thesis, entitled 'Magnetic and Electronic Phenomena in Oxide Interfaces, Thin Films and Heterostructures', on the 29th of November 2017.
- Magnetic dead layers in La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 revisited, S.B. Porter, M. Venkatesan, P. Dunne, B. Doudin, K. Rode, J.M.D. Coey, IEEE Trans. Magn.,vol. 53, pp. 1-4, Apr. 2017
- Three-dimensional dispersion of spin waves measured in NiO by resonant inelastic x-ray scattering, D. Betto, Y.Y. Peng, S.B. Porter, G. Berti, A. Calloni, G. Ghiringhelli, N.B. Brookes, Phys. Rev. B, vol. 96, pp. 020409(R), Jul. 2017
- Magnetization and Anisotropy of Cobalt Ferrite Thin Films, F. Eskandari, S.B. Porter, M. Venkatesan, P. Kameli, K. Rode, J.M.D. Coey, Submitted for review: Phys. Rev. Mater. arXiv: 1709.09965, Sep. 2017
- Electrical properties of NiFe2O4 epitaxial ultra-thin films, G.A. Boni, L. Hrib, S.B. Porter, G. Atcheson, I. Pintilie, K. Rode, L. Pintilie, J. Mater. Sci.,vol. 52, pp. 793-803, Sep. 2016.
- Vacuum ultra-violet damage and damage mitigation for plasma processing of highly porous organosilicate glass dielectrics, J.F. de Marneffe, L. Zhang, M. Heyne, M. Lukaszewicz, S.B. Porter, F. Vajda, V.D. Rutigliani, Z. el Otell, M. Krishtab, A. Goodyear, M. Cooke, P. Verdock, M.R. Baklanov, J. Appl. Phys., vol. 118, pp. 133302, Oct. 2015.
- Magnetic Analysis of Polar and Nonpolar Oxide Substrates, M. Venkatesan, P. Kavle, S.B. Porter, K. Ackland, J.M.D. Coey, IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 50, pp. 1-4, Nov. 2014