PY4T02: Electron & Photon Physics Part 1
Quantum Theory of Light
- Planck radiation law
- Photon shot noise
- More intensity fluctuations: single-mode thermal field, classical chaotic light
- Hamiltonian for the electromagnetic field
- Classical and non-classical state of light -- coherent states, number states. Visualising field distributions.
- Light-matter interactions -- Jaynes-Cummings model and Rabi oscillations. Generation of coherent states with classical dipoles.
30/4/14, corrected typo in derivation of Poisson photocount distribution; result unaffected.
26/9/14, fixed some typos in quantum mechanics revision, reorganized problem sheets + added question.
6/10/14, minor errors in part 1 and first problem sheet.
11/11/14, fixed typo, extended questions, on problem sheets 2 and 3.
- C. Gerry and P. L. Knight, Introductory quantum optics, Cambridge University Press 2005.
- Mark Fox, Quantum optics, Oxford University Press 2006.
- R. Loudon, The quantum theory of light, 3rd ed., OUP 2000. Advanced, but a classic with an excellent balance of physics and formalism.
Last modified: Tue Nov 11 10:05:36 2014