Nanophotonics I: Quantum Theory of Microcavities
Syllabus (optional additional material)
- General theory of optical resonators. Revision of electromagnetism.
- Classical electromagnetism in layered dielectrics. Transfer
matrices, reflection coefficients, photonic
- Periodic dielectric structures and microcavities. Bloch
theorem, photonic bandstructure, distributed Bragg reflectors. The
planar microcavity. (Other microcavity designs.)
- Quantum theory of light I: Harmonic oscillator, cavity quantum electrodynamics, second quantization and photons.
- Quantum theory of light II: Simple features of the cavity field, (multimode fields and vacuum divergences, Casimir effect).
- Light-matter interaction. Dipole approximation, second quantization for atomic states, Jaynes-Cummings model.
- Solution to the Jaynes-Cummings model. Rabi splitting, Rabi oscillations.
- Light-matter interaction in semiconductors. Coupling strength in a quantum dot.
- Experimental realizations of the Jaynes-Cummings model in semiconductors.
- The Dicke model: collective Rabi splitting and polaritons in dots/wells/atomic ensembles.
- Connection to Lorenz oscillator model.
Lecture notes and problems
Overheads from final lecture (local access only)
Last modified: Tue Jan 25 10:45:00 2010