WHS Monck Observatory
The observatory is named after William Henry Stanley Monck (1839-1915), a former Trinity student who became the first person to electrically measure starlight in 1892. The observatory was officially opened by Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell on the 12th December 2008 but has been used for undergraduate project work since October 2007. The observatory is located on the roof of the Fitzgerald building and consists of a 10' fiberglass dome from HomeDome. The dome is mounted on an isolation platform as shown below, so that vibrations resulting from people moving in the dome are not coupled to the telescope (the telescope is mounted on a pier connected to the building).
The Observatory operates with the following equipment: