Module Code: PI4029
Module Name: Ethics
- ECTS Weighting: 5/10
- Semester/Term Taught: Michaelmas Term
- Contact Hours: 22 hours of lecture
- Module Personnel: Lecturer - TBA
This module focuses on contemporary debates in moral psychology and their philosophical relevance. We will discuss findings from experiments, surveys and neuroscience regarding the role of emotion and intuitive cognition in moral judgement, the role of character traits in shaping our behaviour, and the role of conscious reasoning in everyday choices. We will look at models of moral thought proposed on the basis of such data, and their alleged implications for understanding moral motivation and knowledge, virtue, and free will.
Having successfully completed this module, students will be able to:
- understand recent empirical studies on human moral thinking and behaviour;
- analyse the psychological assumptions made by normative and metaethical theories;
- critically evaluate the relevance of empirical findings to philosophical topics.