Module Code: TBC
- ECTS Weighting: 10
- Semester/Term Taught: Hilary Term
- Contact Hours:11 x 2-hour seminars; 4 supervision hours; 174 hours of independent study
- Module Personnel: TBC
This module will explore certain topics in contemporary metaphysics. We will focus primarily on the contemporary literature and debates within the metaphysics literature. The precise topics under consideration are likely to vary from year to year, though will be announced in advance of the beginning of the academic year. Potential topics would include, universals, levels of being, dispositions, essentialism, causation, laws of nature, mental causation, truthmaking, grounding, metaontology, and naturalised metaphysics.
The aim of this module is to provide students with subject specific knowledge and to equip them with the necessary skills for independent research. On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Critically discuss various central problems in metaphysics;
- Engage with the contemporary literature within these topics;
- Interpret, critically engage with complex topics and arguments;
- Present ideas and arguments in a clear and rigorous way both orally and in writing;
- Produce advanced levels of research (including identifying and using appropriate resources) through independent work with appropriate levels of guidance.
The basis for the assessment of this module will consist of one written essay of 3000 words.