Categories of Collection
Whether readers can borrow material, and for how long, is dependent on their status in the University and the type of material. For example, no reader may borrow journal issues from the Library. Items must be returned to the Service Counter from which they are issued.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PRIVILEGES ASSOCIATED WITH BORROWING ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
On this page:
- Open Shelf Collections
- Closed Access Collection - Stacks
- Counter Reserve (Short Loan) Collection
- Behind Counter Collection
- Reference Collection
- Early Printed Books and Special Collections
- Manuscripts and Archives Research Library Collections
- LEN in BLU Libraries - four week or one week (with yellow spot) loan
- S-LEN in the Hamilton Library - one week loan
- SJ in the John Stearne Medical Library - one week loan
- MUS LEN in the Ussher Library - one week loan
In addition, not technically part of the Undergraduate Loan Collection, but available to all readers with borrowing privileges including undergraduates:
- P-MUS LEN in the Ussher Library - four week loan
- Most Open Access material in the BLU has no prefix, simply the shelfmark
- Some material in the BLU has the legacy prefix ARTS
- No prefix in the Hamilton Library
- SJR in the John Stearne Medical Library
These items are located by the Service Counters of the Berkeley (PDF 63KB), Hamilton (PDF 31KB) and John Stearne Medical Libraries (PDF 83KB). They may not be removed from the reading rooms of the library in which they are located (any reading room in the BLU for items borrowed from the Berkeley Library) - items are borrowed for use in the Library only.
- Students and staff may borrow up to four books (three books for staff with an orange stripe) from the Short Loan (Counter Reserve) Collection in addition to any other books they have borrowed
- Items are issued for five hours
- Must be returned to the appropriate Service Counter
- Heavy fines for late return
These items cannot be borrowed. Some material is available directly from reading rooms, some is in Closed Access.
Prefixes PER, SER
Prefix THESIS. More information on theses is available.
DIR (in most cases)
OPUB (in some cases)
These items cannot be borrowed, and may only be consulted in the Early Printed Books Reading Room.
Most items are in storage, either on campus or the Santry Book Repository, and must be requested using a call slip.
These items cannot be borrowed, and may only be consulted in the Manuscripts and Archives Research Library.